"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO fondue recipe using Velveeta

Does anyone know how to make cheese fondue out of Velveeta cheese? You know the one that comes in the block... Any ideas would be great..

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Anyway, Velveeta mixed with Rotel, or any other salsa, or cream cheese, makes a passable fondue in a crockpot or fondue pot. Use with pita chips, tortilla chips, veggies, or whatever you have.

Please disregard Pacanis. Or not.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If you add milk, just make sure you don't get it too hot or it may curdle or separate.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

the best way to do it is like ganache. Warm the milk to just under boiling and add the Velveeta to it to slowly melt. I would leave the pot on the burner but turned off, stirring constantly until the cheese melts and mixes with the milk. Don't use a lot of milk.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Just asking a question, I dont understand why some people have to be so arrogant!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

People should feel comfortable to ask any question they like on this forum, no matter how simple.

Tawnydoll,
Have you tried to make the fondue yet?. I just keep adding ingredients as I go so if it's too runny then add some flour, or too dry then add more cheese and wine. Little by little is best I think.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Yes I did, and it was actually pretty good. I heated it up cubed with a little milk and hot sauce and turn out pretty good for an evening snack!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnydoll
Yes I did, and it was actually pretty good. I heated it up cubed with a little milk and hot sauce and turn out pretty good for an evening snack!!!!
Velveeta is my go-to melty cheese. I use it a lot in broccoli and cauliflower soups. It doesn't clump like the other "pure" cheeses. Cheez Whiz is another good one, my mom claimed it had better flavor than Velveeta. I can't detect any real difference.

Glad your recipe worked!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnydoll View Post
Glad it worked. Fondue is one of my favourite things to cook with friends, tends to get messy and then everyone sleeps so well because of the full bellies we have (or maybe it's the wine?!) .
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

I find Cheese Whiz more salty than Velveeta. That said, I'll use a combination of Velveeta and sharp, white cheddar. Mix in a touch of yellow mustard, or mustard powder to give it a bit of bite.

First, heat a little milk (about a quarter cup), and start adding the cheese. You can change the flavor profile by adding herbs such as oregano, garlic, basil, etc. A little liquid smoke changes the flavor as well, depending on what you are dipping into the fondue.

Another option is to add browned ground beef, pepperoni bits, bacon bits, or sausage bits to your fondue. Be creative. Try all kinds of things.

Make a hot, white chocolate sauce to dip strawberries in, or a flavorful marinara for breadstics. You can make anything into a fondue, almost.

I'm not sure where your question about rude people came from. The responses I saw were quite helpful. Maybe the rude post was removed. The moderators here are very good at that.

In any case, I hope you enjoy DiscussCooking as much as the rest of us do. And I hope your fondues come out just as you like them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe