"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Freezing help

can anyone tell me if I can freeze all veggies and herbs and is it ok to freeze pepper corns

Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Peppercorns are normally sold as a 'dried' product. I cannot see any gain in freezing them - they are already 'preserved'.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Well now, that's a big question! There are around 20000 herbs on the planet and probably about as many vegetables, so it's not so easy to generalise!

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any herb or vegetable that can't be frozen. But whether a frozen product can be thawed and come out just like fresh is another matter. For instance, parsley and chervil are just two herbs which freeze well, but they are no good for garnishing when thawed because they wilt. As for veges, you'll find that some need blanching before freezing, and some don't.

Peppercorns don't need to be frozen. They should keep for several years just as they come to you.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Cooked potatoes (like in vegetable soup) do not freeze well IMHO. I think they become granular in texture, but watery and change in taste.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the info. the question about the peppercorns is because Ilike to make jungle curry where you use the peppercorns instead of chillies, my wife insists on using fresh produce as much as possible and we don't think dried pepper corns would be good in the curry. We have had a load of peppercorns sent over from Thailand so do you all think they would keep usable (not dried)for a few months. we also have a load of otherrstuff I want to freeze, like thai basil (really really tasty), morning glory Laos basil kaffir limes etc. so as a broader question do we think freezing leafy things is a wise way to preserve as i personally don't like dried leaves in cooking