ISO Fried Chicken recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evening friends, looking for a fried chicken recipe. Up here in Canada fried chicken is basically KFC. Would love to try real fried chicken like I see on shows like DDD, thanks

Every Southern cook has a different method. We like white meat - save the dark for stock.- here. That matters because dark meat cooks more slowly than white, so you have to adjust your timing, But in either event, my method it to marinate in buttermilk overnight. The surface is better prepared for the crust and the salt balance in the buttermilk acts as a brine.

The next step is the "dredge and dip". You build up the crust with a liquid/dry layering. For my taste, you go from the buttermilk marinade to the dry and then to an egg wash liquid before returning to the dry. Some folks go to the egg wash first, but to me it doesn't add much to the buttermilk that is already there. You want two coats of the dry for a crispy crust. The dry - or dredge - layer is a seasoned flour. I take for each cup of flour, 1 t baking powder, 1 t paprika, 1 t ginger, 1 t thyme, 1 t garlic powder, 1 t salt to make the dredge flour. My egg wash is the drained buttermilk from marinating, plus an egg, beaten. Whichever sequence you like, do your dredge and dip at least an hour before you plan to cook, to let the layers meld together,

In the frying step, folks again differ about which comes first, but most everybody agrees that 2 different steps are needed: a hot fry and a low fry. My best success comes from frying the pieces at 375 until essentially golden done, then holding in a separate skillet at about 350 till finished. My grandmother used to start hers at 340 (outrageously low to me) for quite a long time, then flash finish at 380. Both of ours wow folks.
HTH

I only make fried chicken if someone requests it to bring to a potluck. But, I like Paula Deens recipe. She has it posted on foodnetwork site. The added Texas Pete hot sauce and the double dip coating is a good mix. It is not low- fat.

^^WOW that is an involved recipe for fried chicken.
IMO the secret to good fried chicken is using a cast iron skillet. Something about it makes better fc than my other skillets.

I've dipped in milk and then dipped in flour but the results were marginal for me so I skip it.

I get the chicken as dry as possible after rinsing it off. Then I season with whatever..paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt. I put flour in a bag (paper bag, ziploc bag, plastic bag, doesn't matter) and put my chicken in and shake!! I let it sit for maybe 20 minutes or so and then shake in flour again. By this point, the flour is pretty well stuck to the chicken.

I put oil in my frying pan-maybe an inch or so deep? It's important not to put too much oil, you don't want the oil to completely cover your chicken. Temp. is a high medium, but not quite medium high lol if that makes sense (I dunno the temp. but it's a 6-6.5 on my stove lol). Once it's heated I add a few pieces, so none are touching but the pan is relatively full. I cover and depending on what pieces your cooking, I let it go for 4-10 minutes. When that side is browned I turn over and let it finish with no lid, another 4-10 minutes depending on the size of the piece. You'll see when it's golden brown like you like it.

Be careful to only flip the chicken once. IMO multiple flipping and poking causes the flour to separate and can make the chicken soggy.

NoraC you double dipper your recipe sounds good, Goodweed of the North PM me his secret crust mix which is fab, this was in todays Guardian img010.jpg

Evening friends, looking for a fried chicken recipe. Up here in Canada fried chicken is basically KFC. Would love to try real fried chicken like I see on shows like DDD, thanks
my best fried chicken was a year or so ago. used seasoned flour to originally dip each piece in, then egg with buttermilk, then home made bread crumbs with parmesan cheese in there, then fried not to completion then baked in convection oven until thermometer reads safe.

I read an article in Gourmet magazine years ago that reviewed a Southern Fried Chicken restuarant. They raved about the chicken and the owners said they only used salt and pepper and fried in lard. I have tried many recipes over the years but for convenience and a consistant quality, I always go back to that basic recipe.

My fried chicken is definitely unorthodox - pretty much chicken tenders (but the best you might ever eat).

I completely butterfly boneless chicken breast halves, and marinate them in a quart of buttermilk along with a heaping tablespoon of dijon, a few good shots of your favorite hot sauce, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Let them marinate for 24 hours (don't skimp here!). The next day, pull them from the marinade (allowing some of it to drip off) and coat with plain white AP flour (optionally add a bunch of freshly ground black pepper to the flour). Allow them to rest on a plate until you see the flour become hydrated. Dip in the marinade again (allowing it to drip a bit on the way out), and repeat the flour/hydration step.

Fry them in the fat of your choice at 375ºF. If you have access to good lard, it makes for the best crispiness and leftover chicken (due to the saturated fat). I often end up using canola oil, as I refuse to use Crisco as a substitute for the high quality lard which never seems available for some reason.

I use this recipe for fried chicken dinner (with mashed potatoes, greens, and a coffee spiked chicken/milk/pepper gravy), and also as the base for buffalo tenders (simply toss them in a homemade buffalo sauce a few minutes after they come out of the pot/pan). The buffalo tenders can be eaten as is - or made into a fantastic sandwich.

Many argue that part of the experience is gnawing everything off the bones, but I actually prefer this method.

i definitely think the double dipping is really important for a good crisp on the outside. i don't really use buttermilk though. I just use the eggwash (i add some hot sauce here) and the flour (seasoned with paprika, pepper and garlic salt). Then i put them into a hot skillet with oil (i fill it half way). I let it cook for a while and i temp along the way. Not too complicated. I've never used a cast iron skillet...just a normal skillet=the trick is the oil. I start it really hot and when i notice the golden color on the chicken i lower it a bit, but not too much. Heat really makes it crispy. Just get yourself a good thermometer and make sure the chicken is not undercooked.

Back
Top Bottom