"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile ISO Gingerbread "house" help

Hello, I am attempting a gingerbread castle this year in which i want to use royal icing for a stucco affect.Unfortunately after drying the icing falls off the gingerbread. I have tried glazing the gingerbread with egg white to no success. This is a rather Large castle and I really wnat to make this happen.. I am goin with a spainish/ italian theme and stucco would be a great affect.
thanks
Len

Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hello Len, I came across your post while searching for templates for a gingerbread castle myself. Regarding your stucco question, last year I made a gingerbread lighthouse with caretakers cottage. For a whitewash effect on the lighthouse, I started with my royal icing, and added a drop of water at a time to thin out the icing to a consistency I could paint on the lighthouse. I believe you could thin it out to a fairly thick "stucco" consistency and paint onto your structure. Good Luck. If you could point me in the direction of a nice Castle template I'd realy appreciate it! Jim, opt4health1@comcast.net

Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I am making a gingerbread version of the Globe Theater (a theater from Shakespears time in which many of his plays were performed). It is round, similar to the shape of a very large doughnut. My question is: how can I make the gingerbread into a cylinder shape?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Everymom

Get two cans that can nest and put your gingerbread between the two of them to bake.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

WOW!!! I am impressed!! I wouldn't even know how to begin such ambitious projects!! Would any of you be willing to share photos with us when your masterpieces are finished? Best of luck to all of you!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much for the idea about putting the gingerbread between two cans! Now I'm just hoping all will go well when I actully attempt it.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Let me preface everything I saw with "I'm NOT a baker"

On those cans make sure there is no "lip" or an edge that is a bit wider than the rest of the can.

OK, that's my one and only contribution to baking I have

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote