ISO good ways to cook round roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I have only figured out one way to cook round roast, which is sauerbraten, it was very tasty with the sauce but it takes very long time to prepare (I have to soak it for 7 days or more).

I also doubt it'll taste good with simple braising, because it is so lean and dry when it comes out (it has to be eaten with sauce!)

Do you know any other ways to cook it?

Corning is another great method for eye of round. Simply make the brine solution with the pickling spices, and place in a 40 degree place for a week. Then braise in a convered pot for three hours or so. Slice deli-thin slices.

There are a host of corning recipes on the web. And it tastes great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

I've used it successfully to make beef stroganoff. The recipe I use can go as short or as long as you wish so you don't dry out the beef.

I have only figured out one way to cook round roast, which is sauerbraten, it was very tasty with the sauce but it takes very long time to prepare (I have to soak it for 7 days or more).

I also doubt it'll taste good with simple braising, because it is so lean and dry when it comes out (it has to be eaten with sauce!)

Do you know any other ways to cook it?

A whole roast has to be braised as a pot roast, unless it's a small one in which case you can marinade it and grill it as a London broil.

My favorite thing to do is have the butcher slice it very thin, pound it out and make Rouladen.

Oh yeh, rouladen. Great idea. I have taken an eye of round (large round chunk of meat) and turned it into a flat piece of meat by cutting though it a quarter inch down, and then slicing parallel to the outer surface to "unroll it" so to speak. Then spread savory bread dressing on it, sesoning with S&P and sage, then jelly roll it and tie it in shape. Gently roast it until the meat thermometer reads 150' in the middle. Use the juices to make gravy.

Serve with rutabegga or sweet potatos and a green veggie or salad. Yum.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh yeh, rouladen. Great idea. I have taken an eye of round (large round chunk of meat) and turned it into a flat piece of meat by cutting though it a quarter inch down, and then slicing parallel to the outer surface to "unroll it" so to speak. Then spread savory bread dressing on it, sesoning with S&P and sage, then jelly roll it and tie it in shape. Gently roast it until the meat thermometer reads 150' in the middle. Use the juices to make gravy.

Serve with rutabegga or sweet potatos and a green veggie or salad. Yum.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I find the eye of the round to be a tough and unfriendly cut to roast.

I used to make a dish with this--I'll try and find the recipe--it is in one of my Bon Appetit cookbooks. The ingredients were the meat, cubed and browned, tossed in a dutch oven with fresh parsley, S&P, brandy, beef stock, orange peel and I think some lemon peel, maybe some garlic, I'll have to dig out the recipe. It simmered on the stove for about 2 hours, served over fresh homemade noodles...yum-yum. I've been thinking of making it. The house smells heavenly while it is simmering. And the meat is tender--possibly the brandy, possibly the citrus, possibly a combination of the two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom