ISO help/advice with crock-pot cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had great success roasting chicken in a cast iron camp dutch oven with coals underneath and coals on top. No water added; just a rack underneath the chicken to lift it off the bottom of the dutch oven. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your roasting pan in an oven.

Since we are on the topic of crock pot........ My crock pot might be on its last legs soon. I usually do a whole chicken with out water just seasonings on chicken and let the crock pot do its thing,if it quits working is it still possible to make the same thing in a granite enamel covered roasting pan,zero water and seasoning on whole chicken with lid at 350 in the oven? Will I have the same out come as if i did in the crock pot? Thanks

It should work just fine. With it being covered it will keep in the moisture. When I roast uncovered, I often put a bit of water under the chicken rack to keep juices from burning.

The result might be a bit different from a slow cooker, but it will work.

since i have not had much cooking expr. what do you mean might be a bit different than the slow cooker? In what way?

since i have not had much cooking expr. what do you mean might be a bit different than the slow cooker? In what way?

The slow cooker brings up the temperature slowly, meat brought up to temp slowly and cooked for a long time will often be much more tender. A slow cooker doesn't really get much more than 200 degrees inside. The same principle is used with smoking meat, long cooking at a low heat makes for that tender fall off the bone goodness.

If you were to bake the chicken in a roaster at say 350 degrees it will cook much quicker. It's not to say that it won't be tender enough, but it won't have the "softer" texture that a long cooked chicken would have.

Does that make sense or did it come off as rambling?

I always thought of roasting as having a crispy skin,and bake as not having..just little brown. So from your point of view would you say chicken in a roasting pan with cover(enamel speckled one) and chicken done in crock pot same way as above as i said, would be called Baked chicken?

In addition to what bakechef said, figure about 12 minutes per pound at 350'F. That's the point where you will need to start checking it with a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast, all the way to, but not touching the thigh joint. For super tender and juicy, pull the bird at 165' F. Remove from the pan, and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving.

If you make that same bird in your roasting pan, but uncovered, you will have crispy skin as well.

To get the same results as from your slow cooker, prepare the bird exactly as if you were going to cook it in the slow cooker. Place the pan into the cold oven, and turn the oven temperature to 190' F. Let it roast for a couple hours at that temperature. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom