ISO help/advice with crock-pot cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
I just made a cake in the crock pot and it came out very weird...not like if i did in the oven. They said in the rec. bake cake in your crock pot,just like if it was in the oven.Yeah right! It came out very moist in fact i would say steamed. Is this the way it is suppose to be.....I mixed the batter and poured it in the crock pot insert that was sprayed and put the lid on. But the results were like i said steamed. Would putting a rag between the lid and crock pot help or would this still turn out with steamed cake?

Never thought about cooking a cake in the crock pot....but this makes me wonder if an old fashioned plum pudding might turn out well in a crock pot....Hmmmm.

Can you post the original recipe here?

It's going to be steamed because the lid traps the moisture in. Crock are not ovens. Maybe they meant that if the measurements and cooking times even out it will be just like a cake baked in the oven. nice and moist

I'd recommend that you take another look at that recipe and see where you can decrease the liquid amounts just a bit. Whether it be with the oils if any were needed right down to the eggs and water. Set the crock on low. Don't lift the lid. Covering it with a towel will inhibit you from seeing what's going on. You might end up having to cook it a little longer.

Munky.

Ingredients:
1 package chocolate cake mix (any 2-layer size)
2 cups sour cream
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding (any size)
1 small bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. oil
4 eggs
1 c. water

Preparation:
Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients together. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours Try not to lift the lid. Serve with ice cream. HERE IS THE REC.

If you liked the flavor of the cake and were only unhappy with its moistness, try making it again and cooking it on HIGH for 3-4 hrs. BTW, if you take off the lid and then find that the cake is not quite cooked, the rule of thumb is to allow an extra half hour to let the temp and pressure return to their proper level.
Cheers.

the cake tasted good.....and it was done, i just thought it was not at all like cake from the oven. Seemed to moist,wasnt sure thats the way its suppose to be?

Also that's a lot of liquid for a cake mix! Add to that, recently most companies have started making their mixes smaller hoping that nobody would notice. So smaller mix, lots of liquids, wet cake.

i have just read if you put a towel under lid this will help collect the moisture. Do u think it would be similar than to a oven cake?

No. It will never come out like an oven cake.

Even if the towel collects the moisture the cake will still cook using steam, as all of the moisture will still be there, trapped in the cooking vessel.

The problem is that in an oven, the environment is relatively dry. Moisture is vented out as it evaporates from the batter. Sow cookers are designed to capture that steam, and is why you can place a rack of ribs in it, add no water, and still have a lot of braising liquid in the vessel as the ribs cook. There is little allowance for moisture to escape.

Of course, you aren't braising you cake. But you are steaming it. The result will be more moist, like a dumpling that's been steamed in soup, or like an English steamed pudding.

It will taste good, but the texture will be more gooey.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As I said before almost 4 cups of liquid in addition to 4 eggs in ONE cake mix will make a very wet cake. As others have said, the nature of a slow cooker is to collect the steam and keep moisture in, no wonder this cake was wet!

bakechef said:
As I said before almost 4 cups of liquid in addition to 4 eggs in ONE cake mix will make a very wet cake. As others have said, the nature of a slow cooker is to collect the steam and keep moisture in, no wonder this cake was wet!

+1. Bakechef has it.

It would be wet, even in a regular oven! For example, I'm looking at a CP cake recipe that calls for 2 1/3 cups liquid total, including water, butter, vanilla, and milk. Another recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups liquid plus 2 eggs. Nowhere near 4 cups liquid plus 4 eggs.

Maybe try a cake recipe adapted for the CP?

Last edited:
Ingredients:
1 package chocolate cake mix (any 2-layer size)
2 cups sour cream
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding (any size)
1 small bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. oil
4 eggs
1 c. water

Preparation:
Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients together. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours Try not to lift the lid. Serve with ice cream. HERE IS THE REC.

Mumu,

I've been doing some checking around for you. Mostly to refresh my memory that yes it can be done successfully. I've baked bread in my crock, converting a coffee can into a mold. The towel probably won't work. You could try using paper towels or even parchment paper. Others have done it. Here's a few links that might help you out.

Crock Pot Bread and Cake - How to's
They have a few recipes that you can get in a pdf file. They used sifted flour for a Chocolate Cake. Some say that over mixing the batter isn't recommended.

Crock Pot Blueberry Cake

Rival no longer sells this product,. Rival Cake and Bake pan Vintage Rival Crock-Pot Bread 'n Cake Bake Pan for 5 Qt Crock-Pot sold 3.10.12

I want that! I do have some old camping cooking equipment that could probably be converted to work in it as well. The things I'll try! :LOL:

But anyways give it another try. You might get lucky. Good luck! :chef:

Munky.

Dawgluver said:
+1. Bakechef has it.

It would be wet, even in a regular oven! For example, I'm looking at a CP cake recipe that calls for 2 1/3 cups liquid total, including water, butter, vanilla, and milk. Another recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups liquid plus 2 eggs. Nowhere near 4 cups liquid plus 4 eggs.

Maybe try a cake recipe adapted for the CP?

Thanks for that, there are times I feel invisible on this forum.....

Thanks for that, there are times I feel invisible on this forum.....

I tip my hat to you, bakechef. I may not always publicly give you the credit you deserve, but in my book, you are one of the people around here whose advice I respect without reserve. You are not invisible. You are respected.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
I tip my hat to you, bakechef. I may not always publicly give you the credit you deserve, but in my book, you are one of the people around here whose advice I respect without reserve. You are not invisible. You are respected.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Well said, Chief. I totally agree!

Last edited:
Since we are on the topic of crock pot........ My crock pot might be on its last legs soon. I usually do a whole chicken with out water just seasonings on chicken and let the crock pot do its thing,if it quits working is it still possible to make the same thing in a granite enamel covered roasting pan,zero water and seasoning on whole chicken with lid at 350 in the oven? Will I have the same out come as if i did in the crock pot? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom