"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool ISO help browning fried potatoes

How can I brown them without making them mushy? I love good fried potatoes, any recipes would be awesome to try!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawnydoll View Post
How can I brown them without making them mushy? I love good fried potatoes, any recipes would be awesome to try!!!

I hear duck fat works very will to make good fried potatos, I have not tried duck fat, but I have it on good authority that it works very well. I cook mine in olive oil and butter that has been heated very hot. Hot oil will brown and not soak into the potatos, if the oil is not hot, the potatos soak it up and they turn mushy. Also make sure to dry your potatos before cooking, pat them between paper towels to remove any water or juice from the potato, and don't crowd them. Fry in small batches. Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Master Chef

I slice potato, you can pat them dry, preheat the frying pan it should have some oil on the bottom. Spread potato evenly, cover fot the first 5-10 minutes, depending on how thick the slices are, taht will help with cooking thru. Then open and fry till golden brown n one side, do not mix, just let it seat on the fire. When first side is done slide the potato onto a lead/cover (or is it lid ? ) and flip it over back onto the pan on the other side. Again do not mix it, just let it fry till golden brown again. The less croweded the pa is the faster it will fry, the crispier potatoes will be. When done slide on a plate, maybe even with some paper towel on it, so the exxesses oil will go on towel. Sprikle with some salt. Done. Now if only typing in English was as easy as frying potato....
Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You can also use a weight like a bacon press or foil covered brick to ensure complete contact with the pan surface for better browning and crisping.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

It takes me about 45 minutes to get a nice batch of home fried potato chunks.

I use leftover baked potato, bacon grease and or crisco, a cast iron pan, low/medium heat, and leave them alone for 10 or 15 minutes at a time so they get some color.

Don't overcrowd the pan and don't play with them constantly.

It is worth the wait!

I could eat them at every meal and I look like I do!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been playing with the Cold Oil method.....Cut your potatoes into FF...Put them in a skillet....just cover with oil....turn on the fire....When they are as brown as you like...drain on a wire rack...season and serve. Not bad fries...Not greasy....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It takes me about 45 minutes to get a nice batch of home fried potato chunks.

Don't overcrowd the pan and don't play with them constantly.

It is worth the wait!

I could eat them at every meal and I look like I do!
High heat, 425ish, have patience. The magic happens in the last 15 minutes...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have always had best results using leftover peeled baked potatoes or steamed potatoes. Use a cast iron frying pan. Get the oil hot first, fry in small batches.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I have always had best results using leftover peeled baked potatoes or steamed potatoes. Use a cast iron frying pan. Get the oil hot first, fry in small batches.
This is how I do it, although I always used baked potatoes that have been completely cooled in the fridge overnight/all day. Hot leaf lard in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. We have only 4 of us here, so one skillet is enough potatoes for all of us and I don't have to do more than one batch usually. We like onions and mushrooms in ours and I wait until the last 5 minutes or so before I add those, otherwise they become crispy bits of char.

In the wintertime, when we are heating with our wood-burning stove, I really love to bake the potatoes that way for home fries the next morning. The wood gives the potatoes a great flavor without them tasting smoky.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
This is how I do it, although I always used baked potatoes that have been completely cooled in the fridge overnight/all day. Hot leaf lard in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. We have only 4 of us here, so one skillet is enough potatoes for all of us and I don't have to do more than one batch usually. We like onions and mushrooms in ours and I wait until the last 5 minutes or so before I add those, otherwise they become crispy bits of char.

In the wintertime, when we are heating with our wood-burning stove, I really love to bake the potatoes that way for home fries the next morning. The wood gives the potatoes a great flavor without them tasting smoky.

This sounds absolutely wonderful!!!! Thanks so much for this!!!

Tags
potatoes