ISO help cooking with stainless steel????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is only easily scratched if you do not treat it right (using metal utensils in it). If you treat it right it will not scratch.

That's easy, if you are the only one who ever uses and washes it. My DH is trustworthy in that department, but I have had bad experiences with my enamelled cast iron and people scrubbing with steel wool and worse. :( :mad:

I only have 2 Teflon pans in my house. I have a 10 inch for making eggs and omelets in and a 12 inch for stirfry (not cool enough for a wok) past that, they are not nessacery. My mom tries to use them for everything..and due to using them every day, they seem to fall apart pretty fast..plus they tend to be cheap. If you buy a Teflon pan, I would advise ordering one from a cooking warehouse..those things are tough as cast iron and will last forever for the average cook. However, for my every day cooking, my stainless steel and cast iron collections are my weapons of choice...actually, I keep a stainless steal fry pan and my double burner cast iron skillet on my stove at all times.
Hope that helps

I need to get some new pans and I'm debating on whether to get stainless steel or Teflon. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried those ceramic nonstick pans you see in infomercials?

I hate non-stick. I am very happy with my (actually DH's) Lagostina stainless steel set. It's a great complement to the enamelled cast iron stuff.

I never even heard of the ceramic non-stick pans.

I have some baking stuff that is non-stick and it's awful. It's called "Baker's Secret". Stuff sticks worse to it and it's hard to clean.

Your enameled CI is much harder than steel wool and shouldn't be harmed by it.

Well, you're not doing the dishes at my house (I know, big loss :LOL:).

The instructions say not to use abrasive scrubbers. They still cook fine, but the enamel got scratched and they don't clean as easily.

I hate non-stick. I am very happy with my (actually DH's) Lagostina stainless steel set. It's a great complement to the enamelled cast iron stuff.

I never even heard of the ceramic non-stick pans.

I have some baking stuff that is non-stick and it's awful. It's called "Baker's Secret". Stuff sticks worse to it and it's hard to clean.

Non-stick bakeware has to be the worst. How are you supposed to run something around baked goods to allow them to release without scratching the pan, this I have yet to figure out.

After the first scratch it will rust and be completely useless.

Non-stick bakeware has to be the worst. How are you supposed to run something around baked goods to allow them to release without scratching the pan, this I have yet to figure out.

I've found that a narrow silicone spatula works fine in running around a meatloaf or quick bread in a non-stick loaf pan, or a cake in a non-stick form. I sometimes use a heavy-duty nylon frosting knife. There are many non-metallic utensils available.

Last edited:

I have non stick bakeware not because it's non stick but because it's easy to find.
I line post of it with parchment paper and use the parchment for easy release of most things. for others,grease the pan like it's a "stick" pan and flour it/corn starch it..depending on what I am cooking.
I have never had a problem with any of my non stick bake ware getting scratched up, other then the people who use a fork to pull lasagna out of the pan..but i've moved onto glass for that one

I have non stick bakeware not because it's non stick but because it's easy to find.
I line post of it with parchment paper and use the parchment for easy release of most things. for others,grease the pan like it's a "stick" pan and flour it/corn starch it..depending on what I am cooking.
I have never had a problem with any of my non stick bake ware getting scratched up, other then the people who use a fork to pull lasagna out of the pan..but i've moved onto glass for that one

I now use a parchment "sling" in my non-stick bakeware pans, makes life easier.

I am looking to upgrade my 2 brownie pans (8x8 square) soon and get rid of my last 2 non-stick pans.

I like teflon frying pans for chicken breasts marinated in honey & garlic, no matter what ss always sticks for me.

It is only easily scratched if you do not treat it right (using metal utensils in it). If you treat it right it will not scratch.
While I grant you that that may be true of good quality non-stick, it isn't true of all.

I lived in Sri Lanka 8 years and bought non-stick/Teflon there a few times. I know how to treat it properly, including never let metal anywhere near it. The non-stick stuff there still bubbles, peels, scratches, falls off anyway. It's awful. It's also a fact of life there that teflon will do that and everyone knows it. It does not last.

It's also possible, perhaps even likely, that the factory rejects were sent to Sri Lanka.

While I grant you that that may be true of good quality non-stick, it isn't true of all.

I lived in Sri Lanka 8 years and bought non-stick/Teflon there a few times. I know how to treat it properly, including never let metal anywhere near it. The non-stick stuff there still bubbles, peels, scratches, falls off anyway. It's awful. It's also a fact of life there that teflon will do that and everyone knows it. It does not last.

It's also possible, perhaps even likely, that the factory rejects were sent to Sri Lanka.

Lesser quality product can and will be scratched by just about anything and everything you put to it. It's sort of ridiculous.
If you are going to buy Teflon for your kitchen...might as well spend a little cash on it

Lesser quality product can and will be scratched by just about anything and everything you put to it. It's sort of ridiculous.
If you are going to buy Teflon for your kitchen...might as well spend a little cash on it
The stuff I'm talking about includes internationally recognized brands that did cost a fair bit. Couldn't tell by looking at it that it was subpar. And yet...

I had one teflon pan that bubbled noticeably the first time I used it. It happens.

ETA: Point being that brands and/or money spent is not always an indication of quality.

The stuff I'm talking about includes internationally recognized brands that did cost a fair bit. Couldn't tell by looking at it that it was subpar. And yet...

I had one teflon pan that bubbled noticeably the first time I used it. It happens.

ETA: Point being that brands and/or money spent is not always an indication of quality.

No, not always, hence why reading product reviews from trusted sources is always wise. Granted I spent roughly 10 bucks on restaurant quality non stick cookware while others spend like 35 for the same thing..but in general, the basic consumer grade stuff that stands up, tends to run a bit more...people tend to spend less and expect some sort of great response.
I know people who have spent mad cash on a brand that every review was "meh" at best but after I went and was like "ok seriously..stop replacing pans, go buy a T-Fal, wash it and treat it like this and carry on" it was fine... so your point is only true hit and miss..there is always exceptions.
my point being...know your product before you buy it.

While I currently invest in one piece of quality cookware every two or three months, I think it's interesting that the most useful pot I have is also the oldest (15+ years) and what I consider my "go to" pot whenever I need some dish in a hurry. It's a 1-quart Wear-Ever non-stick pot without a lid. It has a few scratches in the bottom from ex's abuse, but the rest is still in great condition. It uses a "Silverstone-like" coating that has never flaked or worn thin, and using only wooden or plastic utensils has helped. There's no heavy heat diffuser on the bottom, it's all the same thickness, and the outside is some enamel-like non-stick glazing that wipes clean with a damp dish cloth. So when I want some instant potatoes, oatmeal, rice, reheated gravy or any other mundane dish, that's the pot I nearly always use.

It was probably less than $10 US when it was new, but I wouldn't sell it for anything now. It's like an old, reliable friend.

Last edited:
I remember a roommate having a really hard time with nonstick cookware. She went through set after set of T-fal, only to find out that Electrosol dishwasher detergent was the culprit. I remember seeing one brand actually recommending against using Electrosol with their cookware, it was too harsh.

After switching, she had no other problems.

GB said:
I have never known of any non stick cookware that was dishwasher safe.

I don't think that it is recommended. I won't buy cookware that can't be thrown in the dishwasher. I have a wearever skillet that I have used for over a decade that survives the dishwasher quite well, luckily!

I have never known of any non stick cookware that was dishwasher safe.

For the past ten years, I have been using a 3-skillet, non-stick set I bought for $23. I regularly put them in the DW. If it's causing damage, It's not evident.

Back
Top Bottom