"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I like teflon frying pans for chicken breasts marinated in honey & garlic, no matter what ss always sticks for me.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is only easily scratched if you do not treat it right (using metal utensils in it). If you treat it right it will not scratch.
While I grant you that that may be true of good quality non-stick, it isn't true of all.

I lived in Sri Lanka 8 years and bought non-stick/Teflon there a few times. I know how to treat it properly, including never let metal anywhere near it. The non-stick stuff there still bubbles, peels, scratches, falls off anyway. It's awful. It's also a fact of life there that teflon will do that and everyone knows it. It does not last.

It's also possible, perhaps even likely, that the factory rejects were sent to Sri Lanka.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidscribis View Post
While I grant you that that may be true of good quality non-stick, it isn't true of all.

I lived in Sri Lanka 8 years and bought non-stick/Teflon there a few times. I know how to treat it properly, including never let metal anywhere near it. The non-stick stuff there still bubbles, peels, scratches, falls off anyway. It's awful. It's also a fact of life there that teflon will do that and everyone knows it. It does not last.

It's also possible, perhaps even likely, that the factory rejects were sent to Sri Lanka.
Lesser quality product can and will be scratched by just about anything and everything you put to it. It's sort of ridiculous.
If you are going to buy Teflon for your kitchen...might as well spend a little cash on it
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
Lesser quality product can and will be scratched by just about anything and everything you put to it. It's sort of ridiculous.
If you are going to buy Teflon for your kitchen...might as well spend a little cash on it
The stuff I'm talking about includes internationally recognized brands that did cost a fair bit. Couldn't tell by looking at it that it was subpar. And yet...

I had one teflon pan that bubbled noticeably the first time I used it. It happens.

ETA: Point being that brands and/or money spent is not always an indication of quality.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
The stuff I'm talking about includes internationally recognized brands that did cost a fair bit. Couldn't tell by looking at it that it was subpar. And yet...

I had one teflon pan that bubbled noticeably the first time I used it. It happens.

ETA: Point being that brands and/or money spent is not always an indication of quality.
No, not always, hence why reading product reviews from trusted sources is always wise. Granted I spent roughly 10 bucks on restaurant quality non stick cookware while others spend like 35 for the same thing..but in general, the basic consumer grade stuff that stands up, tends to run a bit more...people tend to spend less and expect some sort of great response.
I know people who have spent mad cash on a brand that every review was "meh" at best but after I went and was like "ok seriously..stop replacing pans, go buy a T-Fal, wash it and treat it like this and carry on" it was fine... so your point is only true hit and miss..there is always exceptions.
my point being...know your product before you buy it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:

While I currently invest in one piece of quality cookware every two or three months, I think it's interesting that the most useful pot I have is also the oldest (15+ years) and what I consider my "go to" pot whenever I need some dish in a hurry. It's a 1-quart Wear-Ever non-stick pot without a lid. It has a few scratches in the bottom from ex's abuse, but the rest is still in great condition. It uses a "Silverstone-like" coating that has never flaked or worn thin, and using only wooden or plastic utensils has helped. There's no heavy heat diffuser on the bottom, it's all the same thickness, and the outside is some enamel-like non-stick glazing that wipes clean with a damp dish cloth. So when I want some instant potatoes, oatmeal, rice, reheated gravy or any other mundane dish, that's the pot I nearly always use.

It was probably less than $10 US when it was new, but I wouldn't sell it for anything now. It's like an old, reliable friend.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I remember a roommate having a really hard time with nonstick cookware. She went through set after set of T-fal, only to find out that Electrosol dishwasher detergent was the culprit. I remember seeing one brand actually recommending against using Electrosol with their cookware, it was too harsh.

After switching, she had no other problems.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

I have never known of any non stick cookware that was dishwasher safe.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I don't think that it is recommended. I won't buy cookware that can't be thrown in the dishwasher. I have a wearever skillet that I have used for over a decade that survives the dishwasher quite well, luckily!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

For the past ten years, I have been using a 3-skillet, non-stick set I bought for $23. I regularly put them in the DW. If it's causing damage, It's not evident.

Tags
cooking