"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help creating an anniversary meal...

Hey everyone, I need some help. I told my girlfriend I would cook a dinner for our anniversary, but I have no idea what I should cook. It needs to be cheap, easy, and romantic. Please help if you know of any good recipes that would fit these criteria, thanks a lot!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by subnormal
Hey everyone, I need some help. I told my girlfriend I would cook a dinner for our anniversary, but I have no idea what I should cook. It needs to be cheap, easy, and romantic. Please help if you know of any good recipes that would fit these criteria, thanks a lot!
We might beable to help you more if you can give us an idea of some of your favorite foods..meats, veggies, salads,poultry..
BTW, Welcome to DC
kadesma

Old 06-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

she likes pasta a lot and I am pretty good at cooking it, I don't want to cook the same old spaghetti and meatballs though, maybe some type of chicken parmesan? She likes red sauce. She loves vegetables. This meal is more for her than for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

This meal can be made all in one dish. Enjoy.

Chicken Parmisiana & Stuffed Shells (or Ravioli)

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Italian Bread Crumbs
1-2 eggs, beaten
olive oil
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 Cans 16 0z Crushed Tomatoes
1 Tbsp. each crushed garlic, basil, oregano, marjoram, sugar
salt & pepper, to taste
1 Pkg. Stuffed Shells or pkg of cheese-filled ravioli - frozen and thawed, or from the refrigerated pasta section of the market.

Coat chicken in eggs, then in bread crumbs.

Heat olive oil in a skillet and add chicken. Cook 20 minutes per side, or more if very thick. Place on paper towels to absorb extra oil.

Mix crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, marjoram, sugar, salt and pepper. In a rectangular shaped baking dish, place sauce mixture to cover bottom of dish, then place chicken and frozen stuffed shells in dish. Cover with mozzarella cheese, add more sauce to cover, place aluminum foil over dish, and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

Serve with steamed broccoli or roasted asparagus - or
a salad w your fave dressing, & garlic bread.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

How much olive oil? Am I frying it or searing it?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Head Chef

About 1/3 - 1/2 cup. I usually eyeball the amount. You're cooking the chicken. You could prepare the chicken ahead and refrigerate, then reheat it with the shells or ravioli, until everything is heated through. Hope that helps.

Another suggestion - if she's a veggie lover is eggplant parmesan and penne or spaghetti. Try a search on this site. Have a great dinner.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Any meal will be romantic, as long as you have candles, single rose and soft music. Have a great night, congrats. !
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Barb has a good point!!

What about Veal Scallopini with a mushroom cream sauce?

(If you don't morally object to veal). It's also REALLY fast.

Do a dry (seasoned flour), wet (beaten egg), dry (seasoned breadcrumbs) breading on the scallopini.

Shallow pan fry the scallopini for one minute on each side in a 50 -50 mixture of butter and olive oil.

Keep scallopini warm in a low oven.

Add more butter if necessary, then saute 1/2 lb of chopped mushrooms, 1 or 2 shallots, salt and pepper. Once they are soft and you've scraped up any fond (those brown bits left behind), add flour to make a roux. Cook flour for a minute or two, then add milk/single cream/double cream... however rich you want to make it. Bring to a boil and reduce to desired consistency.

Serve scallopini and sauce over rice or buttered noodles. Add a salad side and nice light red wine.

Let us know how it goes for you!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
Barb has a good point!!

What about Veal Scallopini with a mushroom cream sauce?

(If you don't morally object to veal). It's also REALLY fast.

Do a dry (seasoned flour), wet (beaten egg), dry (seasoned breadcrumbs) breading on the scallopini.

Shallow pan fry the scallopini for one minute on each side in a 50 -50 mixture of butter and olive oil.

Keep scallopini warm in a low oven.

Add more butter if necessary, then saute 1/2 lb of chopped mushrooms, 1 or 2 shallots, salt and pepper. Once they are soft and you've scraped up any fond (those brown bits left behind), add flour to make a roux. Cook flour for a minute or two, then add milk/single cream/double cream... however rich you want to make it. Bring to a boil and reduce to desired consistency.

Serve scallopini and sauce over rice or buttered noodles. Add a salad side and nice light red wine.

Let us know how it goes for you!
If you don't care for veal or it's not readily available in your area, you can substitute chicken or turkey cutlets, pounded very thinly.

You could add tiny whole steamed green beans with a light coating of butter as a side dish and a nice tossed or Caesar salad and some crusty bread.

For dessert, kahlua parfaits. In parfait glasses or tall stemmed glasses, layer a couple of spoonfuls of kahlua, some toasted slivered almonds, a scoop of coffee ice cream, repeat layer and top with some whipped cream and more almonds. Yummy good.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This is an easy, yet impressive dish. If you don't like mushrooms substitute caramelized onions. Add some bread and a salad. I never eat dessert but that could be simple enough if you guys are into dessert. Macerate fresh strawberries (cut and add sugar and stir throughout the day) and make the shortcakes on the side of the Bisquick box.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote