ISO help keeping brown sugar soft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tumbleweed

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

my question is about brown sugar. I buy a bag and then we eat some with our cream of wheat, etc.. and then after awhile in the pantry the brown sugar turns rock hard. how to keep my brown sugar from getting hard? thanks.

Store in an Air tight container, not the original container. I use a zip lock in side of a tupper ware container. You can also buy little round disc, (terra cotta I think) that you soak in water, wipe off, and store with the sugar to keep the molasses hydrated. I've never used one, but are said to work. I've heard that refrigeration helps as well...

Enjoy!

I do the bread thing too. If your sugar is rock hard, go ahead and add one or two pieces of bread in an airtight container. After a couple of days the sugar should soften. I do this also with cookies that may have been baked too long and are hard. Just add a piece of bread and they soften right up.

I put a couple of small, about the size of a vanilla wafer, pieces of broken clay flowerpot through a couple of cycles of the dishwasher, then I keep them in with the brown sugar. My brown sugar has stayed soft for over 14 years using this method.

If you have a food saver, the jar sealer feature or canisters work really well.

I also have a little terra cotta thingy (it's in the shape of a bear - sold specifically for keeping brown sugar soft) that I soak in water periodically then put back in my brown sugar container - which I keep in the fridge. I hardly ever use brown sugar - baking is not my thing - yet I've only had brown sugar get hard once with this method. It was just last month and the brown sugar was from last Christmas. B4 my terra cotta bear I used a slice of apple. That worked well. You have to change it out frequently tho.

Back
Top Bottom