ISO help making homemade brown sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I have seen a couple of different recipes on how to make your own brown sugar. Does anyone have a TNT recipe? Someone said they tried the recipe on the bottle of molasses (calling for 1 cup of regular white sugar to 1/2 cup of molasses) and they said it turned out way to rich.

JoAnn, last month I saw Martha Stewart make both light and dark brown sugar on her morning program. They both looked right to me.

For light brown, she put 1 cup granulated sugar in the food processor with 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses. Pulsed a couple of times to evenly mix.

For dark brown, same 1 cup granulated sugar, but added 1/4 cup molasses to make the sugar darker. Processed the same way as light brown.

You might give these versions a try.

JoAnn, last month I saw Martha Stewart make both light and dark brown sugar on her morning program. They both looked right to me.

For light brown, she put 1 cup granulated sugar in the food processor with 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses. Pulsed a couple of times to evenly mix.

For dark brown, same 1 cup granulated sugar, but added 1/4 cup molasses to make the sugar darker. Processed the same way as light brown.

Great information. Thank you so much.

It probably does. Also, if you make it as needed, you never have to worry about finding your brown sugar hard as a rock in the cabinet or pantry.

Also, would you always necessarily have to to process it? For instance, making choc. chip cookies, just sub white sugar for the brown and add your molasses when creaming the sugars and butter?

good to know ! I wonder if it tastes the same or perhaps even tastes better being freshly made.

Processed sugar is simply sugar that has had the molasses extracted out of it. Molasses is a byproduct of that process. I am not sure I understand why you would want to purchase refined sugar, then purchase molasses to recombine them again. That being said, I do know some sugar producers actually do recombine the two to make their brown sugar but I would think it would still be cheaper buying it that way instead of making your own. Anyhoo, saw the post and it peaked my curiosity.

Jim

Last edited:
Processed sugar is simply sugar that has had the molasses extracted out of it. Molasses is a byproduct of that process. I am not sure I understand why you would want to purchase refined sugar, then purchase molasses to recombine them again.

Jim

Because some recipes call for brown sugar. Brown sugar is a combination of granulated sugar and molasses. If you need some brown sugar and have none, you can make your own by combining the two ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom