"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Hmmm. I remember back in the 50's my parents rented out a small apartment on the second floor of our home. One young couple moved in during the winter and didn't have a refrigerator. They put a wooden box out on the porch roof and kept their perishibles in that box until they could get a small used fridge. That was the only time I've seen that done, but it is a very good idea! Also, storing things in your car. I guess a shed would work, too. My husband puts pies on the porch to cool but I'm always afraid a critter will come and get them.
On the farm, the summer kitchen was our outside freezer. When we moved to Boston, my father nailed a box to the outside sill of the window and that became our winter freezer.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #102
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I often leave some meat on the chicken carcass. It's 'cause I have been picking at the carcass and I make the stock (or put the carcass in the freezer to accumulate with other chicken bones) and it has reached the point that I have to do something RIGHT NOW or it might go off.
We have wings fairly often, and I save the wing tips in the freezer until I have several bags, then I thaw them, roast them a bit to add some flavor, then make my stock from them. I also do a mirepois, roasted with the chicken pieces, and a bouquet garni. Simmer for a few hours, remove the all the chunky stuff and reduce it a bit if necessary to get the flavor I want.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make a stock with the carcass the whole thing goes right in the pot. There is never enough meat on the bones to pick off, so I strain it and just toss to carcass out. It has served it purpose well. Carrots, celery and an onion go right in the pot with the carcass and go out with it. They get a good wash first. But I don't bother to peel them.

Tags
stock