ISO - Help Making Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...But if I'm going to save the fat, to use for cooking, I'll pour it into a pot of boiling water. I then turn off the stove, pour the water into a suitable container, and refrigerate it. When cold, I lift off the solid, mostly clean fat, and put it into a bowl. I then nuke it, or remelt it in a clean pan, then carefully pour it through a paper towel and into a clean jar for storage in the fridge...

Chief, I'm curious why you do all this to save fat. I just cool it a bit and pour it through a strainer lined with a men's hankerchief I save for this purpose.

I'm not saying that it won't damage a freezer to keep it outside in really cold weather. But, a friend of mine from small town Maine said that loads of people do it there with no problems.

Every Thanksgiving, when I brine the turkey, it goes in a 20-quart pot in the back of SO's SUV overnight. Otherwise, on the back deck with a couple of big rocks on the lid.

For PF, me, and a number of others here, that wouldn't work - too cold outside.

Yup, most of the time it's colder outside than it is in my fridge. No defrosting happening:ROFLMAO: Lots of frosting. (it was snowing!!!!)

I put the grease into hot water because it clarifies it for me. Most of the particulate is gone from the fat.

I kinda learned the trick when I cooked a pulled pork, and then put the juices into a container, then into the fridge. There was plenty of wonderfully flavored pork stock, with lots of little meat particles floating around. The particles settled in the liquid, leaving the fat that floated on top of the water clean and ready to be used for other things. I removed the hardened, chilled fat and remelted it so that I could put it into a lidded jar, and into the fridge.

For bacon fat, I usually just pour it into a heat-proof container and use it as is.

I guess that for me, there are different grades of rendered fat, with different purposes, i.e. full flavored with bits, strained through a paper towel, and clarified for when I want an almost flavorless fat, like lard.

I can't imagine using straight up bacon fat in my apple pie, or to make a delicate roux. I will use it in my baked beans, or to fry an egg in, or even like butter (lower cholesterol than butter) on my pancakes. Hence the reason why I have different flavor levels of fat. And yeh, I know, I'm crazy.:w00t2:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Every Thanksgiving, when I brine the turkey, it goes in a 20-quart pot in the back of SO's SUV overnight. Otherwise, on the back deck with a couple of big rocks on the lid.

Goes into a gigantic ziplock, into a cooler and on to my front porch right in beautiful dorchester.

I don't think you're crazy Chief. Just really thrifty. The rest of us are wasting all that fat that can be recycled.

I think I will try the Chief's hot water trick for the chicken fat that accumulates on top of the stock. I find it too soft to just remove and the stock is jellied, so I always end up with stock in the chicken fat. Schmaltz has lots of uses. I often use it to make roux, which I keep in the fridge. It stays fine for months.

Like this?
It's so simple it took me a while to figure out. :ermm: Find the video you want to post. Copy and paste the URL of the video into your Post. Not as a photo or as a link. Just plain pasted into the message. :LOL:

Are you something! Like this?

Rush roll the bones lyrics - YouTube

Its not working for me taxlady. I have firefox and can do it on another forum that is set up like this one.
They have a youtube "wrap" like above for "Wrap HTML Images" You just put the link in between the < >. Like that but its a youtube wrap.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the outdoor freezer.

I see about starting the fire. I use a chimney starter with newspaper. And I do add a couple drops of oil to the newspaper before I light it. The oil helps it out and does a better job than just dry newspaper. Especially when there is no breeze.

My screen name comes from my favorite band. "Rush". They have a song called "Roll the Bones".

No Youtube function on this forum?

I'm familiar with "Roll The Bones" by Rush. My favorite song by them is "Trees", where the oaks and maples fight amongst themselves until the law of the hatchet, axe, and saw settles the matter.

Rush is an incredible ban. But then again, I'm a big fan of most progressive rock. Everyone who knows me knows that my favorite bads are, in this order, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Rush. Jethro Tull fits into that group as well. But you can have the Moody Blues.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

5oYLAd2H0Cg

Rush roll the bones lyrics - YouTube

Its not working for me taxlady. I have firefox and can do it on another forum that is set up like this one.
They have a youtube "wrap" like above for "Wrap HTML Images" You just put the link in between the < >. Like that but its a youtube wrap.
So, did you post those as links? Both of those links work, but aren't embedding the video. I use FF as well.

Okay, next question. Are you posting in WYSIWYG or BB code mode? I just tested and it only seems to work in WYSIWYG mode. Top right hand corner of the "posting window" has a square with A/A. That toggles between modes.

I'm familiar with "Roll The Bones" by Rush. My favorite song by them is "Trees", where the oaks and maples fight amongst themselves until the law of the hatchet, axe, and saw settles the matter.

Rush is an incredible ban. But then again, I'm a big fan of most progressive rock. Everyone who knows me knows that my favorite bads are, in this order, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Rush. Jethro Tull fits into that group as well. But you can have the Moody Blues.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Looks like we have some of the same favorites Chief. If I could add some of mine, and maybe yours, Hendrix, BTO, Black Sabbath, Audio Slave, Springsteen, Collective Soul, Finger Eleven, Foreigner, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Zeppelin.......jeez.....I could go on and on.

Looks like we have some of the same favorites Chief. If I could add some of mine, and maybe yours, Hendrix, BTO, Black Sabbath, Audio Slave, Springsteen, Collective Soul, Finger Eleven, Foreigner, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Zeppelin.......jeez.....I could go on and on.

May I ask without offending, Are either or both of you in your late 40's? My son loves Rush and most of the other groups mentioned. He is 48.

May I ask without offending, Are either or both of you in your late 40's? My son loves Rush and most of the other groups mentioned. He is 48.

I'm guessing yes ;) Rush is one of my husband's favorite bands, too, as well as several of the others Rocket mentioned. He's 51.

Back
Top Bottom