"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Re keeping freezers in basements/garages/other unheated rooms. The following article appeared in "Which" a consumer magazine in the UK

Best freezers for your garage - Freezer reviews - Kitchen - Which? Home & garden

Old 11-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...But if I'm going to save the fat, to use for cooking, I'll pour it into a pot of boiling water. I then turn off the stove, pour the water into a suitable container, and refrigerate it. When cold, I lift off the solid, mostly clean fat, and put it into a bowl. I then nuke it, or remelt it in a clean pan, then carefully pour it through a paper towel and into a clean jar for storage in the fridge...
Chief, I'm curious why you do all this to save fat. I just cool it a bit and pour it through a strainer lined with a men's hankerchief I save for this purpose.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm not saying that it won't damage a freezer to keep it outside in really cold weather. But, a friend of mine from small town Maine said that loads of people do it there with no problems.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef

Every Thanksgiving, when I brine the turkey, it goes in a 20-quart pot in the back of SO's SUV overnight. Otherwise, on the back deck with a couple of big rocks on the lid.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #65
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
For PF, me, and a number of others here, that wouldn't work - too cold outside.
Yup, most of the time it's colder outside than it is in my fridge. No defrosting happening Lots of frosting. (it was snowing!!!!)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #66
Master Chef

I put the grease into hot water because it clarifies it for me. Most of the particulate is gone from the fat.

I kinda learned the trick when I cooked a pulled pork, and then put the juices into a container, then into the fridge. There was plenty of wonderfully flavored pork stock, with lots of little meat particles floating around. The particles settled in the liquid, leaving the fat that floated on top of the water clean and ready to be used for other things. I removed the hardened, chilled fat and remelted it so that I could put it into a lidded jar, and into the fridge.

For bacon fat, I usually just pour it into a heat-proof container and use it as is.

I guess that for me, there are different grades of rendered fat, with different purposes, i.e. full flavored with bits, strained through a paper towel, and clarified for when I want an almost flavorless fat, like lard.

I can't imagine using straight up bacon fat in my apple pie, or to make a delicate roux. I will use it in my baked beans, or to fry an egg in, or even like butter (lower cholesterol than butter) on my pancakes. Hence the reason why I have different flavor levels of fat. And yeh, I know, I'm crazy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Every Thanksgiving, when I brine the turkey, it goes in a 20-quart pot in the back of SO's SUV overnight. Otherwise, on the back deck with a couple of big rocks on the lid.
Goes into a gigantic ziplock, into a cooler and on to my front porch right in beautiful dorchester.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #68
Executive Chef

I don't think you're crazy Chief. Just really thrifty. The rest of us are wasting all that fat that can be recycled.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I put the grease into hot water because it clarifies it for me. Most of the particulate is gone from the fat...
I strain it through a handkerchief. No particulates.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think I will try the Chief's hot water trick for the chicken fat that accumulates on top of the stock. I find it too soft to just remove and the stock is jellied, so I always end up with stock in the chicken fat. Schmaltz has lots of uses. I often use it to make roux, which I keep in the fridge. It stays fine for months.

Tags
stock