ISO - Help Making Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 53 and I like those bands.

Now, are we making stock or what?:LOL:

As a matter of fact, to get back on topic, I have the carcass of a rotisserie chicken simmering even as I type!

I'm not saying how old I am, but old enough to have a 48 year old son! You do the math!

Last edited:
The other great band from that era is Steely Dan. I heard a radio interview with Don Fagen recently and started listening to Steely Dan on Pandora. Love it :)

I need to make stock this morning, too. I got some beautiful carrots and parsnips from the farmer's market last weekend to go in.

As a matter of fact, to get back on topic, I have the carcass of a rotisserie chicken simmering even as I type!

I'm not saying how old I am, but old enough to have a 48 year old son! You do the math!

When you roast the chicken carcass do you strip off all the meat or is it ok to leave some on?

Mrs D is 48 as well so I can figure it out. ;)

When you roast the chicken carcass do you strip off all the meat or is it ok to leave some on?

Mrs D is 48 as well so I can figure it out. ;)

I never did this before, but I'm going by a recipe I found online. We ate the chicken for dinner last night. I pulled off the leftover meat, leaving all the bits and pieces clinging to the carcass. We didn't eat the wings, so they are still attached, whole. I also added the uncooked neck and giblets. Simmering with a whole onion, celery, carrots, peppercorns. When it's finished I will strain it through cheesecloth, refrigerate and remove any fat that solidifies on top. At that point, I will decide if it needs to be clarified with the egg whites as instructed yesterday. When I make the soup, I will add some fresh carrots and celery and cut up chicken from last night's dinner, along with some noodles. Season to taste.

I cooked my own chicken yesterday, beer can chicken, but the recipe I followed for the stock was for using a commercial rotisserie chicken. Same thing. DH said he's not going to eat it because you can't make chicken soup from a chicken that has already been cooked. LOL Doesn't matter than his brother has done it for years with the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving.

I think it's better to remove the bulk of it, because it will have no flavor after it simmers. Why waste it?

Isn't that what I said? I just don't pick at every little piece clinging to the bones.

I do pretty much the same to make stock but I also add a couple bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and parsley stems. When I stem parsley for other dishes, I put the stems in a bag in the freezer for this purpose. Why waste them? ;)

I'd remove the meat as you would if you were going to toss the bones. Any meat remaining on the bones will flavor the stock. When you make a soup where you plan to add leftover chicken, add it at the end so it just heats through. It doesn't need to be cooked with the veggies and rice or noodles, etc.

I'd remove the meat as you would if you were going to toss the bones. Any meat remaining on the bones will flavor the stock. When you make a soup where you plan to add leftover chicken, add it at the end so it just heats through. It doesn't need to be cooked with the veggies and rice or noodles, etc.

That's what I do, except that I cube it and lightly brown it in butter until it's just done through. I add the cooked cubes to the bowls when the soup is served. Then, the meat tastes as good as the soup.:chef:

For a twist, add some small cubes of Havarti cheese to the soup in the bowl. Good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Isn't that what I said? I just don't pick at every little piece clinging to the bones.

I do pretty much the same to make stock but I also add a couple bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and parsley stems. When I stem parsley for other dishes, I put the stems in a bag in the freezer for this purpose. Why waste them? ;)

I was agreeing with you, not trying to improve on what you said!!

I often leave some meat on the chicken carcass. It's 'cause I have been picking at the carcass and I make the stock (or put the carcass in the freezer to accumulate with other chicken bones) and it has reached the point that I have to do something RIGHT NOW or it might go off. :LOL:

No. No legs on the pot.

Afraid critters may get in.

:ROFLMAO:

img_1317332_0_9181138ca0a1f87645ffa5f46e4315e9.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom