"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,027
Bread crumbs and eggs will bind your meat loaf. Also ground meat should have 20 percent fat to help bind.
__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
If I have stale bread on hand, I will just barely soften it with milk and mix it into the meat. But considering I very rarely have any bread in the house, I use the recipe from the Quaker Oats company. But I still put about 1/8 cup of milk into a pound of meat. The enzymes in the milk, tenderize the meat.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
Oh my goodness, that looks amazing!! I love a good loaded meatloaf!
Thank you. I also make a meatloaf that is molded around a head of cauliflower. I call it meatloaf surprise because it shocked the heck out of my mom the first time I served it to her. LOL
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Thank you. I also make a meatloaf that is molded around a head of cauliflower. I call it meatloaf surprise because it shocked the heck out of my mom the first time I served it to her. LOL


__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
That is one way of getting a veggie into them. Ingenious.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 36
Meatloaf is one of precious few things I can make. When I made my grandma's and put it in a normal loaf pan, it fell apart and didn't taste quite the same. When I make it in HER old loaf pan, which is pretty small (not quite 8x4 and is metal with some kind of tan coating inside), it's really packed in there, but comes out exactly the way she made it. This leads me to believe that the pan might make a difference.

But I am not a real cook, so take it with a big, giant boulder of salt. :)
__________________
Blackitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackitty View Post
Meatloaf is one of precious few things I can make. When I made my grandma's and put it in a normal loaf pan, it fell apart and didn't taste quite the same. When I make it in HER old loaf pan, which is pretty small (not quite 8x4 and is metal with some kind of tan coating inside), it's really packed in there, but comes out exactly the way she made it. This leads me to believe that the pan might make a difference.

But I am not a real cook, so take it with a big, giant boulder of salt. :)
Take pride in your accomplishment of being able to make your grandmother's meatloaf. You could be right.

The making of mother's meatloaf is one of those dishes that pops up every so often. We all want the dishes of our childhood. The way and taste of mother's or grandmother's. As you can see, meatloaf is one of the dishes that can provide us with a plethora of recipes and methods of making.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Take pride in your accomplishment of being able to make your grandmother's meatloaf. You could be right.

The making of mother's meatloaf is one of those dishes that pops up every so often. We all want the dishes of our childhood. The way and taste of mother's or grandmother's. As you can see, meatloaf is one of the dishes that can provide us with a plethora of recipes and methods of making.
Agreed! I do feel closer to my mom and grandma when I make it. I have my mom's recipe card for it and remember her using it and how it got stained...and I'm back in that kitchen, being a teen...my mom was alive and we made meatloaf together and that stain on the 3x5 recipe card, typed on a typewriter, is evidence of it. At some point, she put a smilie face sticker on it that said, "My Favorite recipe". (Aside from Cheeseburger Pie, it was the only recipe of anything she actually made, but that's not important.) It's my favorite recipe, too.

I have typed instructions from my grandma on a variety of things that I pulled out of mom's box. One has a note about her horror that Nixon had been elected, lol. Many have admonishments to only give the food to the kids because it was high in calories.

When I left the state, my neighbor who loved to cook gave me a Snickerdoodle recipe for a cookie she made that I loved, so I wouldn't have to miss it. It's in the box.

There is something about a recipe box filled with odds and ends from our past that you just cannot duplicate with any app or an online "recipe box" at allrecipes.com.

We all think our own meatloaf is the best...and we are all right. :)
__________________
Blackitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackitty View Post
Agreed! I do feel closer to my mom and grandma when I make it. I have my mom's recipe card for it and remember her using it and how it got stained...and I'm back in that kitchen, being a teen...my mom was alive and we made meatloaf together and that stain on the 3x5 recipe card, typed on a typewriter, is evidence of it. At some point, she put a smilie face sticker on it that said, "My Favorite recipe". (Aside from Cheeseburger Pie, it was the only recipe of anything she actually made, but that's not important.) It's my favorite recipe, too.

I have typed instructions from my grandma on a variety of things that I pulled out of mom's box. One has a note about her horror that Nixon had been elected, lol. Many have admonishments to only give the food to the kids because it was high in calories.

When I left the state, my neighbor who loved to cook gave me a Snickerdoodle recipe for a cookie she made that I loved, so I wouldn't have to miss it. It's in the box.

There is something about a recipe box filled with odds and ends from our past that you just cannot duplicate with any app or an online "recipe box" at allrecipes.com.

We all think our own meatloaf is the best...and we are all right. :)
I can tell. Blackitty, you are a good lady. I too make certain recipes to remind me of my parents. And yes, your comment about each of our meatloaves is spot on. It's good to have you here on DC.

May your cold things be cold, your hot things be hot, and your cheddar be at room temperature.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
Maelinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 123
I do a recipe for mini meatloaves in a muffin tin. Hubby calls them "Meat Muffins" which the name kinda grosses me out. <grin> He loves it though and asks for it frequently.

Here's the recipe:

Mini Meat Loaves aka Meat Muffins


INGREDIENTS:
1lb total ground turkey breast, ground beef, or ground meat blend of your choice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons pasta sauce, divided
1 egg
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Italian-flavored or Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 6-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, onion, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup pasta sauce, the egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning; mix well. Divide the mixture equally among the muffin cups.
3. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons pasta sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until no pink remains in the meat. Serve immediately.

Slice any left-overs up and make into sandwiches if you like, and top with some pasta sauce and Parmesan or sliced mozzarella. That's what Randy likes to do if we're lucky enough to have left-overs.
__________________

__________________
Maelinde

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.