"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I can tell. Blackitty, you are a good lady. I too make certain recipes to remind me of my parents. And yes, your comment about each of our meatloaves is spot on. It's good to have you here on DC.

May your cold things be cold, your hot things be hot, and your cheddar be at room temperature.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I think that anyone who first learned the basics of cooking in their mother's kitchen, even if all they did was add the milk and butter to the Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, has a lifetime emotional connection, even after the parent has physically departed. I still think of Mom, when I make meatloaf, when I make chili....

.... Or especially when I make a chocolate cake. Licking the beaters and using the spatula to squeegee out the last drop of batter from the mixing bowl - and sometimes having to mock fight with her over the privilege. Boy that was a long time ago, but I can still see it like it was yesterday.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackitty View Post
There is something about a recipe box filled with odds and ends from our past that you just cannot duplicate with any app or an online "recipe box" at allrecipes.com.
Couldn't agree more!!

My own recipe box was a gift from my mom when I first moved out on my own. She gave it to me with a hand-written poem on the front and filled with several cards of recipes we made together when I was growing up. It included recipes passed down from my grandmother and great-grandmother. It was a special gift, even though I barely knew how to cook on my own.

I've come a loooong way with my abilities in the kitchen. And my recipe box shows it!! Now it's stuffed full of special recipes that I've collected over the years. And I still call my mom when I find a really good one!