"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Roast a whole chicken on Sundays, divide the meat in 1-cup portions, and freeze. These can be used in all kinds of dishes - Mexican quesadillas or tacos; Thai peanut noodles or salad made with spring roll ingredients (lettuce, carrots, cucumber, rice noodles, chicken, and store-bought or homemade ginger-soy dressing); Italian pasta with tomato or Alfredo sauce; all kinds of sandwiches and salads.

I have a single friend who buys a pizza each week and freezes the leftovers 1 or 2 slices to a plastic bag. Defrost and heat up in the microwave.

HTH.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for tip, couldn't u just use a pre cooked chicken from grocery store.

something i will try though.

babe

Old 02-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I made meatloaf with my new loaf pan. It was so yummy! I measure and freeze the rest. I have chicken and meatloaf for the week.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
thanks for tip, couldn't u just use a pre cooked chicken from grocery store.

something i will try though.

babe
Sure you can Cost vs. convenience - do whichever works for you.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I cook for one and I do a bit of everything - a bit of takeaway, a bit of frozen convenience foods, a bit of bulk cooking, a bit of eating out and a bit of throw togethers. I use my microwave a lot and a lot of one pan cooking.

Last night I finished up the asparagus, sliced ham, sundried tomatoes and threw them into a fry pan with two beaten eggs (mixed with a dolp of cream) and topped with grated cheese. Very tasty, very quick, and cleared out the fridge.

If I have a batch of savoury mince or bog sauce, I have been known to make a mock lasagna using bread instead of pasta, cream instead of a white sauce and zapped it in the microwave.

My cooking nights (ie when not bulk cooking and so forth) are usually governed by my hate of washing up so it is all usually very quick, easy and one pot or even a plate that I can eat straight off (eg tuna nachos but using potato slices instead of corn chips).

I do the same with a pizza and freeze the individual slices. I also make my own on "singles". Pitta bread is a great thing to have on hand cos you can make a souvlaki or a burrito or just a chicken and salad wrap without having to have the different wraps on hand.

Instead of grabbing a big cut of meat to roast, use a steak instead with the veges in the roasting pan. Lot quicker and you still get that roast meat flavour.

Stirfries and pasta dishes are good too.

I also try and eat bigger meals at lunch time while I still have some level of enthusiasm and then can just eat a sandwich or a salad for dinner when I am tired.

One of the best things about cooking for one is if you want to indulge (and can afford it) in an expensive ingredient, you can. Half a dozen green banana prawns with some salad was a big meal but affordable for one, not so if cooking for a family.

If I make a (savoury) pie or a roll, like a vegetable filo roll, I will make it into small rolls or packets instead and freeze some of them for another time. Somethings are just easier to make a larger amount than little ones.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
if u only cook for one person it is really hard, without a lot of leftovers.

would like to know who does cook for only one. and any tips would be just wonderful.it is easier to do with prepared food than from scratch i have found. do like fresh .

babe
I cook for one & sometimes have leftovers. Since I'm not a fan of freezing cooked/prepared food, (I prefer fresh), I try to be creative & turn the leftovers into another dish. i.e.

When I cook a roast w veggies, the next day I may serve over broad egg noodles - similar to stroganoff.

Eggplant Parm - I smoosh up & serve as a pasta dish or make an ep sammich.

P/u a rotisserie chicken (already cooked - or roast my own) - then add the cooked chicken to a pasta salad or (caesar) salad, pizza, sammiches, calzone or add stir fry veggies.

Meatballs - serve w pasta (spaghetti, ravioli) one day, & serve as a sammich the next day. Add peppers & onions w melted mozzarella, provalone etc.

Be creative & keep a well-stocked pantry - i.e. various pasta shapes/sizes, rice, couscous, canned tomatoes & tomato sauce, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, soups, dried herbs/spices, breadcrumbs, tuna, salmon, etc. When you see a recipe you like, you already have most of the main ingreds on hand - only need to buy a few more ingreds for fresh salads & fresh fruit.

I keep some frozen packaged ingreds on hand, when I'm in a time crunch (or don't feel like cooking) - i.e. frozen/fresh ravioli, dumplings/potstickers, knishes, potato pancakes, blintzes, won ton skins etc.

My freezer is well stocked w chicken, beef, pork, fish/seafood, so I can pick & choose a main ingred & add sides of choice, & serve w fresh salad & fruit. I order (on line) from places like Kansas City or Omaha Steaks, etc. Foods are sealed & keep for quite awhile in the freezer.

I almost always have a few different varieties of cheese - & bagels, bread, flour tortillas to make a quick sammich. I try to vary the weekly menu i.e one night fish, chicken or beef. Don't eat dessert every day/night, so I only bake when I have the time.