"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.
I only use butter or oil if I'm making a pilaf, then I lightly saute the rice before adding water. I'll also saute some chopped onion and/or garlic with the rice.

These days I mostly use brown rice, which takes more water and a lot longer to cook than white rice. I usually have to cook it for about an hour and quarter and use 2 -3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice.

I also prefer my rice a little creamy when made as a side dish, so I will usually remove the lid and use a sort of risotto process for the last 15 minutes of cooking. I don't have the patience to do it as risotto for an hour plus.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Senior Cook

It seems you are not cooking long enough, and or too much water. That seems like an easy fix, use a bit less water {shave a 1/4 cup} and cook a bit longer..

I do not cover the rice until its off, while its cooking I leave it uncovered.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

I cook my Jasmine rice (my favorite) exactly like PF and it's perfect every single time.

How To Cook Rice on the Stove — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.

I cook rice EXACTLY like this. Have been doing so for years and have never had any problems. Rice always turns out perfectly.

One issue I think people overlook is that they don't use a large enough pan with an appropriately-fitting lid. Those two variables will definitely change the game.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I cook my Jasmine rice (my favorite) exactly like PF and it's perfect every single time.

I have to do significant adjustment on recipes like this, because we live at 4000 feet above sea level, and water boils at 204. Anything that requires boiling water to cook takes longer, and it always requires some trial and error to get it down.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco View Post
Hello,

I am a seasoned cook, but can't seem to cook rice on top of the stove. I have tried several "you tube" recipes and all have failed. Does anyone have a "foolproof" method you can share? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
(Shush! Is anyone listening? This is just between you and me so don't tell anyone.)

I cheat.

A mug of rice to 2 mugs of boiling water plus salt in a large bowl. Cover with Clingfilm, leaving a vent ( or a plate will do). Microwave on full (my m/wave is 850w - adjust for time if yours is different) for 10 minutes. Stand for a couple of minutes or until any remaining water is absorbed.

"Perfick", (as Pa Larkin would say)

I can't get it right on the stove top either. It either burns or isn't cooked enough but the m/wave method always works for me.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

My rice turns out fine when cooked the traditional way on the stovetop, but I've been wanting to try Sara Moulton's method. Rather than measure water and rice, and adjust the burner and all that jazz, she treats it like pasta. She brings a large pan of water with a greater than water-to-rice ratio to a boil. Once the water is boiling, dump in the raw rice, return to a boil, and test after it has cooked as long as the directions say. If it is tender, drain and use. If it needs a bit more cooking time, just keep checking until it is just right.

Actually, tonight's planned dinner involves rice. IF I can remember, I'll try this method tonight and report back.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I used to do stove top, but much easier way I found.

Wash white rice until water is clear. Just shy of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. In a stainless Dutch oven, bring to boil on stove top, cover and place in a 350 oven for 20 minutes. No stirring, no checking, nada. Perfect every-time. Most brown rice takes at least 35 minutes.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

GA, that's a great idea, but it's a lot cheaper to run a burner than an oven. I don't think I would try that unless I had something that had to be roasted/baked. I don't know what jacco's electricity rates are, but with our last bill I'm thinking that Mad Cook's microwave method looks pretty appealing!
Old 02-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been cooking rice in the microwave for at least 15 years; it works great and it can't overcook because the MW turns itself off.

I've found that this method works perfectly: cook for 7 minutes, stir, cook for 8 minutes, done. If I don't stop and stir, it comes out crunchy. So you may need to experiment a little till it works with your equipment.

Tags
cook, cooking, rice, stove