"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help/tips cooking rice on the stove

Hello,

I am a seasoned cook, but can't seem to cook rice on top of the stove. I have tried several "you tube" recipes and all have failed. Does anyone have a "foolproof" method you can share? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Welcome to the forum, I never heard someone have a problem with this, what is actually happening?

I never put much thought into it but heres how I do it..

Bring water butter salt to a boil, add rice and lower heat from high to medium, when it starts to bubble and boil again, lower the heat once more just so it settles down, but still simmers and crackles {still want steam but not a rolling boil}... Now when the water is boiled off and the rice is softened up, remove it from the heat, cover it and let it sit for about 15 minutes in its own steam...

I guess your water to rice ratio could effect your results, or maybe the pan you use, I use a calphalon unison non stick and have no issues. You need to kind of know your pan and stove, if you don't turn it down low enough the last time you can burn to the bottom of your pan, if you turn it too low the rice swells more and can turn super mushy before the water is boiled off...

Give us a little more info on what your method is maybe we can point out an obvious flaw...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually make one cup of rice to one and a quarter cup of water or flavored liquid. C42 has told you the basic way to make rice. If you send us more information as just what you are doing, we can help you more. Just how does your rice end up being?

Welcome to Discuss Cooking.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Head Chef

I use this one and come out perfect every time

Perfect Rice Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Food Network
Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

What kind of rice are you cooking? Uncle Ben's has different rice to liquid ratio than say jasmine, valencia or forbidden (black) rice. Are you making a flavored rice or pilaf? Do you rinse the rice first?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.

How To Cook Rice on the Stove — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Cooking Rice

Hello again,

I am cooking plain long grain white enriched rice and using a ratio of 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as recommended on the package. Bring the water to a boil, add the rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve. The rice is gooey, gummy, and water is always left in the bottom of the pan. I am using a 2 quart stainless steel sauce pan with lid. Sorry I didn't provide enough information from the start, and thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco View Post
Hello again,

I am cooking plain long grain white enriched rice and using a ratio of 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as recommended on the package. Bring the water to a boil, add the rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve. The rice is gooey, gummy, and water is always left in the bottom of the pan. I am using a 2 quart stainless steel sauce pan with lid. Sorry I didn't provide enough information from the start, and thanks for the help.
Rinse the rice several times until the water is clear before cooking. That should eliminate the "gummy" texture. Cook the rice covered until craters form and remove from heat for 20minutes still covered. You don't add salt to your rice? Some folks will drain the rice well before cooking and "brown" it in a little oil before continuing.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Head Chef

If you rinse the rice, you need to use a bit less water than what the directions call for unless you let it totally dry out. Craig forget to mention that, usually about 1/4 cup less per cup of rice.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco View Post
Hello again,

This is exactly how I cook rice, but I use the handle end of the fork to check to make sure the bottom is dry or close to dry.
After 20 minutes stick the handle down into the rice against the side of the pot. Push a bit of rice to the side and see the bottom.
If there is water continue to cook.
You may be cooking it to low. Make sure the water is bubbling throughout the complete cooking process and make sure its covered good.
Do not stir either except for in the beginning.

Tags
cook, cooking, rice, stove