ISO help/tips cooking rice on the stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacco

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I am a seasoned cook, but can't seem to cook rice on top of the stove. I have tried several "you tube" recipes and all have failed. Does anyone have a "foolproof" method you can share? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, I never heard someone have a problem with this, what is actually happening?

I never put much thought into it but heres how I do it..

Bring water butter salt to a boil, add rice and lower heat from high to medium, when it starts to bubble and boil again, lower the heat once more just so it settles down, but still simmers and crackles {still want steam but not a rolling boil}... Now when the water is boiled off and the rice is softened up, remove it from the heat, cover it and let it sit for about 15 minutes in its own steam...

I guess your water to rice ratio could effect your results, or maybe the pan you use, I use a calphalon unison non stick and have no issues. You need to kind of know your pan and stove, if you don't turn it down low enough the last time you can burn to the bottom of your pan, if you turn it too low the rice swells more and can turn super mushy before the water is boiled off...

Give us a little more info on what your method is maybe we can point out an obvious flaw...

Last edited:
I usually make one cup of rice to one and a quarter cup of water or flavored liquid. C42 has told you the basic way to make rice. If you send us more information as just what you are doing, we can help you more. Just how does your rice end up being?

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. :angel:

What kind of rice are you cooking? Uncle Ben's has different rice to liquid ratio than say jasmine, valencia or forbidden (black) rice. Are you making a flavored rice or pilaf? Do you rinse the rice first?

Last edited:
Cooking Rice

Hello again,

I am cooking plain long grain white enriched rice and using a ratio of 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as recommended on the package. Bring the water to a boil, add the rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve. The rice is gooey, gummy, and water is always left in the bottom of the pan. I am using a 2 quart stainless steel sauce pan with lid. Sorry I didn't provide enough information from the start, and thanks for the help.

Hello again,

I am cooking plain long grain white enriched rice and using a ratio of 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as recommended on the package. Bring the water to a boil, add the rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve. The rice is gooey, gummy, and water is always left in the bottom of the pan. I am using a 2 quart stainless steel sauce pan with lid. Sorry I didn't provide enough information from the start, and thanks for the help.

Rinse the rice several times until the water is clear before cooking. That should eliminate the "gummy" texture. Cook the rice covered until craters form and remove from heat for 20minutes still covered. You don't add salt to your rice? Some folks will drain the rice well before cooking and "brown" it in a little oil before continuing.

Last edited:
If you rinse the rice, you need to use a bit less water than what the directions call for unless you let it totally dry out. Craig forget to mention that, usually about 1/4 cup less per cup of rice.

Hello again,

This is exactly how I cook rice, but I use the handle end of the fork to check to make sure the bottom is dry or close to dry.
After 20 minutes stick the handle down into the rice against the side of the pot. Push a bit of rice to the side and see the bottom.
If there is water continue to cook.
You may be cooking it to low. Make sure the water is bubbling throughout the complete cooking process and make sure its covered good.
Do not stir either except for in the beginning.

This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.

I only use butter or oil if I'm making a pilaf, then I lightly saute the rice before adding water. I'll also saute some chopped onion and/or garlic with the rice.

These days I mostly use brown rice, which takes more water and a lot longer to cook than white rice. I usually have to cook it for about an hour and quarter and use 2½ -3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice.

I also prefer my rice a little creamy when made as a side dish, so I will usually remove the lid and use a sort of risotto process for the last 15 minutes of cooking. I don't have the patience to do it as risotto for an hour plus.

It seems you are not cooking long enough, and or too much water. That seems like an easy fix, use a bit less water {shave a 1/4 cup} and cook a bit longer..

I do not cover the rice until its off, while its cooking I leave it uncovered.

This instruction is how I have cooked my rice since childhood, well until I got lazy and bought a rice cooker. I've never used butter or oil in my rice.

How To Cook Rice on the Stove — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I cook rice EXACTLY like this. Have been doing so for years and have never had any problems. Rice always turns out perfectly.

One issue I think people overlook is that they don't use a large enough pan with an appropriately-fitting lid. Those two variables will definitely change the game.

Hello,

I am a seasoned cook, but can't seem to cook rice on top of the stove. I have tried several "you tube" recipes and all have failed. Does anyone have a "foolproof" method you can share? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
(Shush! Is anyone listening? This is just between you and me so don't tell anyone.)

I cheat.

A mug of rice to 2 mugs of boiling water plus salt in a large bowl. Cover with Clingfilm, leaving a vent ( or a plate will do). Microwave on full (my m/wave is 850w - adjust for time if yours is different) for 10 minutes. Stand for a couple of minutes or until any remaining water is absorbed.

"Perfick", (as Pa Larkin would say)

I can't get it right on the stove top either. It either burns or isn't cooked enough but the m/wave method always works for me.

Last edited:
My rice turns out fine when cooked the traditional way on the stovetop, but I've been wanting to try Sara Moulton's method. Rather than measure water and rice, and adjust the burner and all that jazz, she treats it like pasta. She brings a large pan of water with a greater than water-to-rice ratio to a boil. Once the water is boiling, dump in the raw rice, return to a boil, and test after it has cooked as long as the directions say. If it is tender, drain and use. If it needs a bit more cooking time, just keep checking until it is just right.

Actually, tonight's planned dinner involves rice. :idea: IF I can remember, I'll try this method tonight and report back.

I used to do stove top, but much easier way I found.

Wash white rice until water is clear. Just shy of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. In a stainless Dutch oven, bring to boil on stove top, cover and place in a 350 oven for 20 minutes. No stirring, no checking, nada. Perfect every-time. Most brown rice takes at least 35 minutes.

GA, that's a great idea, but it's a lot cheaper to run a burner than an oven. I don't think I would try that unless I had something that had to be roasted/baked. I don't know what jacco's electricity rates are, but with our last bill I'm thinking that Mad Cook's microwave method looks pretty appealing!

I've been cooking rice in the microwave for at least 15 years; it works great and it can't overcook because the MW turns itself off.

I've found that this method works perfectly: cook for 7 minutes, stir, cook for 8 minutes, done. If I don't stop and stir, it comes out crunchy. So you may need to experiment a little till it works with your equipment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom