ISO help/tips making creme fraiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
So I was going to try making creme fraiche by just warming some heavy creme and adding the buttermilk, however the instructions say to use pasturized heavy creme, not ultra-pasturized. I accidentaly bought the ultra so I'm wondering if there is a big difference and if I can still use it. Is there a reason he mentioned not to use ultra-pasturized?
Thanks for any help.

Sometimes the restrictions are arbitrary, sometimes not. I'd give it a try, you don't have a lot to lose. I've noticed all the creams in my supermarket are ultra-p. Old-style pasteurized cream is rare now.

According to foodscience.cornell.edu, Ultra-pasteurized milk has more of a "cooked taste". Otherwise it's similar. It's safer. The shelf life, when un-opened, is up to 3 months whereas regular pasteurized milk is 2-3 weeks.

The creme fraiche we made in school took overnight to prepare. I was not directly involved in that portion of the appetizers that we prepared that day but I do remember preparing it the day before and letting it sit out over night. I believe there is a substitute you can prepare but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and used the ultra-pasturized cream and it worked perfectly. I put in, I believe, 3T with 2 cups cream that was warm. Let it sit at room temp for 24 hours and then in the frige for another 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom