"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Homemade mayo is always a bit thinner that store bought, it doesn't have the stabilizers in it the store product does. I would use a light olive oil, not EVOO.
The consistency/thickness was ok, it just seemed like a thick slime rather than a creamy whip. Do you think using the immersion blender might help with that? It was definitely nice having mayo at the drop of a hat that hasn't been siting in the fridge for 6 months. I don't use it often.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post

I used this recipe, and the consistency was ok, except it was more slimy, and less "whipped" than the store variety. Is that normal? Plus I used olive oil, and I think it has too strong of a flavor for my taste. I have bought store bought mayo made with olive oil, and I didn't notice a difference, so I thought it would be ok... :/ also, I used the whisk attachment instead of a blender. Do you think it would seem more whipped if I had used my immersion blender? I have tried to use it to whip egg whites before, and ended up with a half cooked mess lol, which is why I used the whisk attachment.
Use a cheap olive oil with less solids in it, they have less flavor. A high quality extra virgin, that tastes good enough to eat on bread, will always impart taste if you cook with it.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
The consistency/thickness was ok, it just seemed like a thick slime rather than a creamy whip. Do you think using the immersion blender might help with that? It was definitely nice having mayo at the drop of a hat that hasn't been siting in the fridge for 6 months. I don't use it often.
The immersion blender will help, but it still won't hold up like the store bought. I much prefer the homemade. Maybe in trying to get the right consistency you added too much oil?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

The immersion blender will help, but it still won't hold up like the store bought. I much prefer the homemade. Maybe in trying to get the right consistency you added too much oil?
Could be- maybe next time I'll try it before adding all the oil, and I'll try the immersion blender rather than the whisk. Thanks :)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have made mayo on a number of occasions. The first time was with a hand whisk and olive oil. It was very thick and it was green and not very useful at the time because of the strong olive oil flavour. I have made it in a blender and it worked, but it wasn't as thick as store bought. I have made it with a stand mixer and it was at least as thick as store bought.

Did you see the video that Powerplantop posted in this thread:
Home made mayonnaise: ISO suggestion what recipe to use it in? There was also some discussion of Greg's problems trying to make mayo, like wrong shape of immersion blender.

Here's the video:

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have made mayo on a number of occasions. The first time was with a hand whisk and olive oil. It was very thick and it was green and not very useful at the time because of the strong olive oil flavour. I have made it in a blender and it worked, but it wasn't as thick as store bought. I have made it with a stand mixer and it was at least as thick as store bought.

Did you see the video that Powerplantop posted in this thread:
Home made mayonnaise: ISO suggestion what recipe to use it in? There was also some discussion of Greg's problems trying to make mayo, like wrong shape of immersion blender.

Here's the video:

Thank you!! My egg was also cold. I wonder if that didn't help...
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
Master Chef

Well, yesterday I finally made my first batch of mayonnaise using a wire whisk and it came out perfect!

As usual I was the only one to witness this culinary triumph!

I have been using less mayonnaise lately because the better brands have gotten so expensive and also because I really don't need quick access to the extra calories. My recent strategy has been to buy a small 8-10 ounce bottle of good mayonnaise from the local dollar store and use that when I just need a squirt of mayonnaise. When I need a cup of mayonnaise for a large salad I make blender mayonnaise.

Yesterday I wanted to make a small batch of chicken salad and needed a half cup of mayonnaise so I put a medium egg yolk into a one quart bowl with a squirt of mustard, a 1/4 teaspoon of wine vinegar and a shake of S&P. I gradually added a 1/3 cup of canola oil while beating the mixture with the wire whisk. When the oil had all been absorbed I added another 1/4 teaspoon of wine vinegar and beat it a few more seconds. The entire process only took a couple of minutes and the results were great. The only drawback was having a medium egg white leftover. The egg white eventually found its way into a stuffed pepper.

Now I just need to wean myself away from the little bottle of mayonnaise from the dollar store!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Well, yesterday I finally made my first batch of mayonnaise using a wire whisk and it came out perfect!

As usual I was the only one to witness this culinary triumph!

I have been using less mayonnaise lately because the better brands have gotten so expensive and also because I really don't need quick access to the extra calories. My recent strategy has been to buy a small 8-10 ounce bottle of good mayonnaise from the local dollar store and use that when I just need a squirt of mayonnaise. When I need a cup of mayonnaise for a large salad I make blender mayonnaise.

Yesterday I wanted to make a small batch of chicken salad and needed a half cup of mayonnaise so I put a medium egg yolk into a one quart bowl with a squirt of mustard, a 1/4 teaspoon of wine vinegar and a shake of S&P. I gradually added a 1/3 cup of canola oil while beating the mixture with the wire whisk. When the oil had all been absorbed I added another 1/4 teaspoon of wine vinegar and beat it a few more seconds. The entire process only took a couple of minutes and the results were great. The only drawback was having a medium egg white leftover. The egg white eventually found its way into a stuffed pepper.

Now I just need to wean myself away from the little bottle of mayonnaise from the dollar store!
That's what I do, Aunt Bea. I don't keep "commercial" mayo in the house, I just make it when I need it (since I have a surplus of eggs).
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That's what I do, Aunt Bea. I don't keep "commercial" mayo in the house, I just make it when I need it (since I have a surplus of eggs).
This is another eggstravagant salad dressing that is easy to make!

2 hard boiled egg yolks (chop the whites and add them to the salad as a garnish)
1/2 cup olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon (a tablespoon or two of vinegar will work but the lemon is better by far)
salt & pepper

Mash yolks in a bowl, add the other ingredients and whisk together until the dressing is thick and creamy.

Sometimes I add a squirt of mustard.

You can also add a squirt of anchovy paste for a quick knock off of Caesar salad dressing.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthegolfer View Post
Just got Dori Greenspan's "Around My French Table" for my birthday! A stunningly beautiful book!!! Tried to make homemade mayonnaise but it didn't work. Never got thick. I tried to make mayo one other time, years ago with no luck. Has anyone successfully made homemade mayo? Any secrets you want to share? I used a mini food processor that allows the oil to go in drop at a time.
Thanks!
I have used a hand-held electric mixer (not a stick blander) since seeing it recommended many years ago. You start out dripping the oil in until it starts to come together and then you can start pouring in the oil in a thin stream while the hand mixer keeps running. I've never had a failure that way whereas making it by hand is a very precarious business!

Did you use a whole egg? This will make the resulting mayo thinner than if you use just the yolk. I always used just the yolk and found that the more oil you used the thicker the mayo became - thick enough to stand a spoon up in it!. It's also very yellow unlike Hellman's, etc!

Taxlady said her mayo was green and had a strong flavour. Did you by any chance use a Greek olive oil?You need a mild olive oil for mayo. I don't like my mayo made with all olive oil so I use either sunflower oil or sunflower oil mixed with a small proportion of olive oil.

The other thing that most recipes recommend is that the egg should be at room temperature.

I don't care for myself as I am, to quote my old Doctor, "disgustingly healthy" but as most of my guests are elderly or immuno-suppressed I follow the advice not to use raw eggs so don't often make mayo so Aunt Bea's recipe using HB egg yolks sounds useful.

Tags
mayonnaise