"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Cook

ISO help/tips making mayonnaise

Just got Dori Greenspan's "Around My French Table" for my birthday! A stunningly beautiful book!!! Tried to make homemade mayonnaise but it didn't work. Never got thick. I tried to make mayo one other time, years ago with no luck. Has anyone successfully made homemade mayo? Any secrets you want to share? I used a mini food processor that allows the oil to go in drop at a time.
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been making mayo for years and haven't had it fail. I have hand whisked it, used an emulsion blender, used an old-fashioned egg beater, a regular blender, and the food processor. Were all your ingredients at room temperature? Were your eggs fresh?

Did you toss it out? There are ways to salvage failed mayo (adding more egg yolks + lemon juice - a search on the Internet should turn up some methods). I can't attest to any of those ways working, I haven't had to try to salvage failed mayo...

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

I make blender mayo using this recipe and it works every time. The caution on using it within three days is my rule and is probably open for debate but, this is not like bottled mayo, it must be used quickly.

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1 cup oil
1 T lemon juice or vinegar (I usually use vinegar)
1 T hot water

Put cup oil, egg, salt, mustard into blender and blend. Gradually add remaining oil in a slow stream, add the lemon juice or vinegar and the hot water. Refrigerate and do not keep more than 3 days!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I made mayo 5 times. Twice it came out. 3 times was oily mess. Don't know why?? Feels like a crap shoot with mayo
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've never failed, either. Of course, it will never be as thick as it is from a jar...there's none of those "fancy" thickening agents in there.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Home made mayonnaise will never be as thick as or taste the same as the stuff that comes in a jar.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, adding more oil will make it thicker.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you for this recipe Bea

We have always wanted to try making our own mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I make blender mayo using this recipe and it works every time. The caution on using it within three days is my rule and is probably open for debate but, this is not like bottled mayo, it must be used quickly.

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1 cup oil
1 T hot water

Put cup oil, egg, salt, mustard into blender and blend. Gradually add remaining oil in a slow stream, add the lemon juice or vinegar and the hot water. Refrigerate and do not keep more than 3 days!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Cook

Some info about mayo

More information than tips here. It's all about the water content at the beginning. An egg yolk is 50% water. Egg white is 90% water. At the outset add one teaspoon of water to the yolk, hand whisk it for a couple of minutes, add the salt, whisk it another 30 seconds or so. You could use a teaspoon of egg white. Good luck trying to get a teaspoon of egg white to stay on a teaspoon!

Aside from getting your emulsion off to a flying start it will help it become thicker. The water addition opens up the lecithin and that's what binds your oil droplets. If you don't have enough water the oil droplets will break through the barrier to meet up with their friends and then you've got oil soup.

Using a mixer or processor could overheat your project and if it overheats it will break. The water helps avoid that a little. It'll never overheat with a whisk and for a first time attempt I'd suggest using a whisk so you can see how it works.

Also worth mentioning is that the amount of oil a single egg yolk can absorb is ridiculous. The ideal ratio is 20:1 but you can easily get 3 quarts of oil into one yolk.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1 cup oil
1 T hot water

I used this recipe, and the consistency was ok, except it was more slimy, and less "whipped" than the store variety. Is that normal? Plus I used olive oil, and I think it has too strong of a flavor for my taste. I have bought store bought mayo made with olive oil, and I didn't notice a difference, so I thought it would be ok... :/ also, I used the whisk attachment instead of a blender. Do you think it would seem more whipped if I had used my immersion blender? I have tried to use it to whip egg whites before, and ended up with a half cooked mess lol, which is why I used the whisk attachment.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Homemade mayo is always a bit thinner that store bought, it doesn't have the stabilizers in it the store product does. I would use a light olive oil, not EVOO.

Tags
mayonnaise