"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I know it's possible to roast romanesco broccoli heads whole, which are more dense than normal broccoli, like cauliflower. I have a friend who swears by it. I would think if it worked than roasting a full head of cauliflower would be possible. Maybe your temp was to high? He roasts his at 350 and theyalways take at least 45 minutes. I'm sure roasting it in pieces is much easier and faster. He just says that it tastes better and is juicier if you keep it whole. Never gotten around to trying it myself.
thanks! i followed the recepie but i guess something wasn't working there. cauliflower is still great vegie

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I like to do it on the grill:
Cut the head into 4 big pieces, rub or spray with olive oil.
Toss on grill, let get nicely charred (to taste) on each side.
Remove from grill, cut into smaller pieces. Make a foil pouch, add some
butter (generously), a bit of seasoning salt, nutmeg. And garlic, lots of garlic!
Close up, put back on grill for half an hour or till tender on indirect heat. Turn occasionally.
cool thanks!
i am actually making it at home but good to know thanks!
that would be recepie for my husband

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I know that's not what you asked but you can make a pretty good mashed potoato substitute with steamed or boiled cauliflower. I prefer the steamed, not so much water gets in it. And if just the mashed cauliflower doesn't go over well, you can always add a potato or 2. Hint, you probably won't need as much butter and whatever liquid you use (milk, evap milk, chix broth) as you do with potatos. I actually like the mashed cauliflower as much if not more than mashed potatos cause they are so heavy lately. My taste buds seem to have a mind of their own the last couple weeks or so, don't want anything too heavy or slighest bit greasy.
i know! i agree! people have such different taste, i once made something i thought was sooo good and then someone else told me it doesn't tastes good

this is what i have been making for my kids, although my toddler eats cauliflower holding it in pieces but for baby i thought in the same direction like urself, thanks and she been having a blended/mashed caulflower and she likes it
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
i made cauliflower last nite , i have baked whole thing drizzled in olive oil, it made a mess, had steam coming out of the oven, swiched baking pans,it didnt finish cooking because couldn't deal with it, i baked whole thing in one piece

i also put some lemon and olive oil

i am not sure where it went wrong but it made a mess and didn't come out.....

please help!
Cut the cauliflower into florets, and toss with about 1 Tbsp oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Make sure you don't crowd the pan or it will steam instead of roast - keep the florets in one layer. I prefer a fairly high heat, and roast at 425F about 25 -30 minutes.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Cut the cauliflower into florets, and toss with about 1 Tbsp oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Make sure you don't crowd the pan or it will steam instead of roast - keep the florets in one layer. I prefer a fairly high heat, and roast at 425F about 25 -30 minutes.
thanks! i followed this recepie with one difference, it said full head of cauliflower it actually looked so good , but you are right i would make it like u are suggesting, very cool!!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

some granulated garlic, seasalt, fresh pepper, the gentlist dab of frank's, or you could omit that. sage, olive oil, toss, then on into oven to roast! mm!~
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Executive Chef

the browned bits of cauliflower are the yummiest pieces, so i add seasoned panko to the drizzled olive oil treatment at the start, so's there will be plenty of those browned bits.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Cook

thanks everyone!
somehow i am not in love with the cauliflower being roasted but brocolli and asparagus are yet amaizing
Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH in his exuberance, brought home some broccoli crowns. They are now past their prime. Forgot about roasting.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyNY2 View Post
thanks everyone!
somehow i am not in love with the cauliflower being roasted but brocolli and asparagus are yet amaizing

if ever you decide to give this roasted cauliflower dish another go, and have some duck fat on hand, the result is sure to please and impress....