ISO help/tips w/roasted cauliflower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bake a pan of roasted vegetables at least once a week. (Fingerling potatoes, carrots, onion, cauliflower and broccoli.)

I toss them with olive oil and a liberal sprinkling of Italian seasoning mix (in the shaker container), and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, testing the carrots for tenderness. Carrots are the longest cooking of the vegetables, so when they are done, so is everything else.

I like to keep it simple. I preheat the oven to 500. I drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle with salt then toss to combine. Roast until they get some good color, storing occasionally.

What they said, combined, only my seasoning of choice has been herbs de provence lately. Sometimes a little lemon juice when they are done, sometimes not. I don't time them, I go by color.

i made cauliflower last nite , i have baked whole thing drizzled in olive oil, it made a mess, had steam coming out of the oven, swiched baking pans,it didnt finish cooking because couldn't deal with it, i baked whole thing in one piece

i also put some lemon and olive oil

i am not sure where it went wrong but it made a mess and didn't come out.....

please help!

Try cutting it up into bite sized pieces first. I think that was your problem.
thanks! i was thinking same like you suggested.
it's just such a shame such good & healthy vegetable i made, went to waste!

I know it's possible to roast romanesco broccoli heads whole, which are more dense than normal broccoli, like cauliflower. I have a friend who swears by it. I would think if it worked than roasting a full head of cauliflower would be possible. Maybe your temp was to high? He roasts his at 350 and theyalways take at least 45 minutes. I'm sure roasting it in pieces is much easier and faster. He just says that it tastes better and is juicier if you keep it whole. Never gotten around to trying it myself.

I like to do it on the grill:
Cut the head into 4 big pieces, rub or spray with olive oil.
Toss on grill, let get nicely charred (to taste) on each side.
Remove from grill, cut into smaller pieces. Make a foil pouch, add some
butter (generously), a bit of seasoning salt, nutmeg. And garlic, lots of garlic!
Close up, put back on grill for half an hour or till tender on indirect heat. Turn occasionally.

I know that's not what you asked but you can make a pretty good mashed potoato substitute with steamed or boiled cauliflower. I prefer the steamed, not so much water gets in it. And if just the mashed cauliflower doesn't go over well, you can always add a potato or 2. Hint, you probably won't need as much butter and whatever liquid you use (milk, evap milk, chix broth) as you do with potatos. I actually like the mashed cauliflower as much if not more than mashed potatos cause they are so heavy lately. My taste buds seem to have a mind of their own the last couple weeks or so, don't want anything too heavy or slighest bit greasy.

I know it's possible to roast romanesco broccoli heads whole, which are more dense than normal broccoli, like cauliflower. I have a friend who swears by it. I would think if it worked than roasting a full head of cauliflower would be possible. Maybe your temp was to high? He roasts his at 350 and theyalways take at least 45 minutes. I'm sure roasting it in pieces is much easier and faster. He just says that it tastes better and is juicier if you keep it whole. Never gotten around to trying it myself.
thanks! i followed the recepie but i guess something wasn't working there. cauliflower is still great vegie:mrgreen:

I like to do it on the grill:
Cut the head into 4 big pieces, rub or spray with olive oil.
Toss on grill, let get nicely charred (to taste) on each side.
Remove from grill, cut into smaller pieces. Make a foil pouch, add some
butter (generously), a bit of seasoning salt, nutmeg. And garlic, lots of garlic!
Close up, put back on grill for half an hour or till tender on indirect heat. Turn occasionally.

cool thanks!
i am actually making it at home but good to know thanks!
that would be recepie for my husband:LOL:

I know that's not what you asked but you can make a pretty good mashed potoato substitute with steamed or boiled cauliflower. I prefer the steamed, not so much water gets in it. And if just the mashed cauliflower doesn't go over well, you can always add a potato or 2. Hint, you probably won't need as much butter and whatever liquid you use (milk, evap milk, chix broth) as you do with potatos. I actually like the mashed cauliflower as much if not more than mashed potatos cause they are so heavy lately. My taste buds seem to have a mind of their own the last couple weeks or so, don't want anything too heavy or slighest bit greasy.

i know! i agree! people have such different taste, i once made something i thought was sooo good and then someone else told me it doesn't tastes good:wacko:

this is what i have been making for my kids, although my toddler eats cauliflower holding it in pieces but for baby i thought in the same direction like urself, thanks and she been having a blended/mashed caulflower and she likes it:mrgreen:

i made cauliflower last nite , i have baked whole thing drizzled in olive oil, it made a mess, had steam coming out of the oven, swiched baking pans,it didnt finish cooking because couldn't deal with it, i baked whole thing in one piece

i also put some lemon and olive oil

i am not sure where it went wrong but it made a mess and didn't come out.....

please help!

Cut the cauliflower into florets, and toss with about 1 Tbsp oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Make sure you don't crowd the pan or it will steam instead of roast - keep the florets in one layer. I prefer a fairly high heat, and roast at 425F about 25 -30 minutes.

Cut the cauliflower into florets, and toss with about 1 Tbsp oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Make sure you don't crowd the pan or it will steam instead of roast - keep the florets in one layer. I prefer a fairly high heat, and roast at 425F about 25 -30 minutes.
thanks! i followed this recepie with one difference, it said full head of cauliflower it actually looked so good , but you are right i would make it like u are suggesting, very cool!!

some granulated garlic, seasalt, fresh pepper, the gentlist dab of frank's, or you could omit that. sage, olive oil, toss, then on into oven to roast! mm!~

the browned bits of cauliflower are the yummiest pieces, so i add seasoned panko to the drizzled olive oil treatment at the start, so's there will be plenty of those browned bits.

thanks everyone!
somehow i am not in love with the cauliflower being roasted but brocolli and asparagus are yet amaizing

DH in his exuberance, brought home some broccoli crowns. They are now past their prime. Forgot about roasting.

Back
Top Bottom