ISO help using up self-rising flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdaddy3k

Mr. Greenjeans
Moderator Emeritus
We had some guests this year from Aussie and one of them wanted to make dessert for us. She made a golden syrup sponge for us. It was dellicious and very very rich.

My problem? One of the ingredients was self rising flour. I never use it. None of my recipes call for self rising flour.

Do any of you wonderful people have a nice muffin, scone, or biscuit recipe that calls for self rising flour?

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.;)

Hi, bigdaddy3k. You can make your own self-rising flour. Just sieve together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. This will yield slightly over one cup. Make more as needed and keep stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid.

Somehow my thread title got changed. I don't want to make self rising flour. I need recipes to use up the amount that I have.

Hmmm. All fixed.

I rarely use it too. If I recall, some biscuit recipes use it. It's been so long since I had any, nothing really comes to mind. However, knowing the members here, someone will happen along and offer suggestions.

Thank you magical thread title changing Genie!! I knew I could count on you!!

If you like pancakes, they'll use up your self raising. You might also take a look at Irish soda bread. A good old fashioned sponge will use it up, as will cup cakes.

Use it in any quick bread recipe instead of regular flour, reducing the the ratio of baking powder called for in the original recipe by 1 t. per cup of flour and salt by 1/2 t. per cup of flour.

E.g., when making biscuits or dumplings, substitute the self-rising flour for the regular flour and add no additional baking powder or salt. When making pancakes, substitute the self-rising flour and add one-half the baking powder the original recipe calls for and no additional salt.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both! I didn't want it to go to waste.

BTW the sponge we had was delicious but the stove top steaming was a bit strange to a Yank.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you are a mile away from them AND you have their shoes.
This made me laugh out loud (which startled my wife) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom