"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO help w/broccoli soup instructions

need some advise here..... this rec. is from allrecipes.com called broccoli cheese soup. confused on the following direction.. in a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. cook onions in butter until softened. stir in broccoli,and cover with chicken broth. simmer until broccoli is tender,about 10 to 15 min. Then says reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted. mix in milk and garlic powder. Question do i leave it at medium heat for the 10 or 15 min. it takes to simmer the broccoli? THX.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
need some advise here..... this rec. is from allrecipes.com called broccoli cheese soup. confused on the following direction.. in a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. cook onions in butter until softened. stir in broccoli,and cover with chicken broth. simmer until broccoli is tender,about 10 to 15 min. Then says reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted. mix in milk and garlic powder. Question do i leave it at medium heat for the 10 or 15 min. it takes to simmer the broccoli? THX.
That's how I read it.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I read it that way, but I'm not a stickler for following what a recipe says because it might not work in my kitchen. I would lower the heat until the water appears to be simmering. That might be less than medium and it could even be more than medium. If after 10 minutes the brocolli is way under cooked, I guessed wrong and I would jack up the heat.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

That's how I read it too. And it makes sense that way.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Maybe it's the stove but leaving this at medium heat the full 15 min , I had to keep adjusting so wouldn't go to a boil. Couldn't keep it at a medium. Felt like I was fighting it on medium heat to stay at simmer for the amount of time they wanted.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I thought to simmer always bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Had another broccoli soup rec. and said put everything in pot and cover simmer over low heat. Does this seem right......
Old 10-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Could someone tell me if it was normal for me to have the broccoli and stock to boil instead of simmer at medium heat. I couldn't keep it at a simmer very long had to keep adjusting the setting. Is there something I should be doing so next time don't run into this problem. I found a video on this on their web site and it looks like they left at meduim heat for 15 to 20 minutes with out any problems. Any help appr. My soup did turn out good ,just a hassel with simmer at medium heat for 15 min... Can this be done this process ..since some of you say that's how I read it. How do you do it ....not trying to be dumb here but must be a way.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Your soup can come to a boil as long as you have not put the milk or cheese in, a higher simmer will not hurt your soup. Once the milk and cheese are in then it is sensitive to the higher heat and should never boil, only enough heat to melt the cheese.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Head Chef

The way I see it is to not having it at a boil, reduce heat to temper in the cheese so the cheese keeps it's structure and does not separate.

PS: I would also use heavy cream instead of milk.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Maybe it's the stove but leaving this at medium heat the full 15 min , I had to keep adjusting so wouldn't go to a boil. Couldn't keep it at a medium. Felt like I was fighting it on medium heat to stay at simmer for the amount of time they wanted.
You should go back to the thread you started on simmering and re-read that. The knob setting is not important. What's happening in the pot is.

Tags
broccoli, soup