"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Now that I look at it, this is an odd little recipe. Why are they using units of mass (weight) for the ingredients? Why not volume? Is using mass common in recipes outside of the US? Interesting.
I thought so too, Keltin. Is it me, or does it look like freshly sliced tomatoes are on top? But - think I can run with it - changing things around. The almond whatever does sound interesting?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Head Chef

Wink Very European I must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
You guys Rock! Andy you're the Man. Keltin, kewl site - will check it out. Dave - great input - Thank you. Tatt, huh? lol.

Another thing about the recipe - uses diced tomatoes - but sliced tomatoes are shown on top (when you flip it over). So... may tweek it and turn it into a cornbread pie (with cheddar), bake in a glass/pyrex, and see if sliced tomatoes will work on the bottom with the batter poured over. Whaddya think? Thanks again.
Yes, oh so top chef European I do believe. Just remember 454 grams (I round to 500 grams) is a pound and a quart and a liter are close enough to be the same. Enjoy

Old 10-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
I thought so too, Keltin. Is it me, or does it look like freshly sliced tomatoes are on top? But - think I can run with it - changing things around. The almond whatever does sound interesting?
I just checked, and the recipe also calls for 4 whole ripe tomatoes (they used Romas). And then it says:

Line baking paper at the bottom of a 22cm cake pan. Spray well. Lay sliced tomatoes in overlapping circles in the base so the bottom is completely covered. Spread drained tomatoes evenly over the top and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
I just checked, and the recipe also calls for 4 whole ripe tomatoes (they used Romas). And then it says:

Line baking paper at the bottom of a 22cm cake pan. Spray well. Lay sliced tomatoes in overlapping circles in the base so the bottom is completely covered. Spread drained tomatoes evenly over the top and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Sounded a little odd, I thought. I would stick with sliced tomatoes - no? Think I can work around it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Sounded a little odd, I thought. I would stick with sliced tomatoes - no? Think I can work around it.
From what I'm reading, the recipe says to slice up 4 whole tomotoes, cover the bottom of the dish with those slices, then pour the diced tomatoes on top of the slices, and then continue to build the bread. Right?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Simply type the equivalent request into Google for an instant conversion

Example: open Google, then type 800 g in ounces into the search window and hit the SEARCH GOOGLE button.

Google will reply with 800 grams = 28.2191696 ounces Round that off to 28 ounces, which is the normal size of a can of diced tomatoes
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hello

I am Anh from Food Lover's Journey. I think it would be a good idea if I clarify the recipe...

You need both fresh tomatoes AND diced canned tomatoes for this recipe.

Like Keltin said, line the bottom of the pan with fresh tomatoes, then add in the canned tomatoes. After that, spread the bread mixture...

As for the measurement, we use gram in Australia. but I also have a scale with US system so I just need to switch around. Other than that, google provides instant conversion, too.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_poplar View Post
Hello

I am Anh from Food Lover's Journey. I think it would be a good idea if I clarify the recipe...

You need both fresh tomatoes AND diced canned tomatoes for this recipe.

Like Keltin said, line the bottom of the pan with fresh tomatoes, then add in the canned tomatoes. After that, spread the bread mixture...

As for the measurement, we use gram in Australia. but I also have a scale with US system so I just need to switch around. Other than that, google provides instant conversion, too.

Hope this helps!
Thank you Keltin & Caine.

Anh, what a coinicidence. Your recipe looks lovely. Thanks for jumping in and helping.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Now that I look at it, this is an odd little recipe. Why are they using units of mass (weight) for the ingredients? Why not volume? Is using mass common in recipes outside of the US? Interesting.
I'm not sure if it's common to weigh ingredients in other countries, instead of using volume measurements (cup, tablespoon, liter, etc.). I do know that when you're baking, it's more accurate to weigh the ingredients instead of measuring out a cup or two of flour. Measuring by volume of dry ingredients is rather inaccurate, due to how different people pack the measuring cup.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I'm not sure if it's common to weigh ingredients in other countries, instead of using volume measurements (cup, tablespoon, liter, etc.). I do know that when you're baking, it's more accurate to weigh the ingredients instead of measuring out a cup or two of flour. Measuring by volume of dry ingredients is rather inaccurate, due to how different people pack the measuring cup.

Excellent point!