ISO help w/sourdough starter without yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
I read various instructions online (some use room temperature water, while others luke warm water). First time, I used room temperature water (the room temperature has been around 65-66 degree). I fed it after 24 hours and repeat 4 days. It never bubbled up or doubled the volume with air. Second time, I started a new batch with 100 degree water. I have not fed it yet for 3 days just to experiment about how temperature affects it, because my house is around 65-66 degree and it has NOT changed anything at all. Instructions say to feed it only after it bubbles up and doubles.

OK....so neither of the batches seem working. What's wrong? Please advise!

I don't think you have the right yeasties in your air. I've never had luck getting a sourdough started without yeast.

If you know someone that bakes bread frequently or know of a friendly bakery ask if you can set your "trap" in their kitchen, they should have some great yeastie beasties flying around! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Try one of these. The potatoes and or the grapes are said to attract wild yeast.

Grape Sourdough Starter Recipe | Exploratorium

Sourdough Starter IV Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I'm with taxlady, I have never made a dependable sourdough starter without using a little commercial yeast.

Last edited:
Hm....that's so interesting.....how come they (the articles/instructions) never mention about yeastyin the air issue. So...I have made pizzas and breads once a week by using the commercial yeast. The yeast that made my pizza and bread dough rise has not been hanging around in the air....

This is a very interesting topic... got to do some readings online to find the yeasty behavior

Wild yeast live in the air, baking yeast does not. If you have an air conditioner, you will likely not have good yeast in the air. Sourdough starter is best done in the fall and spring when you have the windows open and the ambient temps are warmer.

I will set a new crock outside in the fall with cheesecloth over it.

Thank you all. I read some wild yeast articles just now, as well as the grape sourdough recipe referred by Aunt Bea. Question about the recipe: it says to strain out the slightly crushed grapes once the fermentation starts to take place. Would it hurt to leave small pieces of grapes there, since it is impossible to strain every bit of grapes out completely?

Also, although the batch I have now isn't working, it still produces the slight "smell" similar to the rising dough made with commercial yeast. Do you think I can still use it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you all. I read some wild yeast articles just now, as well as the grape sourdough recipe referred by Aunt Bea. Question about the recipe: it says to strain out the slightly crushed grapes once the fermentation starts to take place. Would it hurt to leave small pieces of grapes there, since it is impossible to strain every bit of grapes out completely?

Also, although the batch I have now isn't working, it still produces the slight "smell" similar to the rising dough made with commercial yeast.do you think I can still use it?

Thanks
I'm not a sourdough maker but regarding straining the grapes - would straining through muslin or a coffee filter prevent the bits of grape getting through?

Also, although the batch I have now isn't working, it still produces the slight "smell" similar to the rising dough made with commercial yeast. Do you think I can still use it?

Thanks

Regarding straining the grapes would straining through muslin or a coffee filter work at keeping the bits of grape out?

First:

Sourdoughhome - An Exploration of Sourdough

Second:

Yeasties in the air aren't important. I have started a starter in middle February, with a HEPA filter on the house.

The basic method I have had success with is this:

25g of rye flour, 25g of water. Make a paste, stick it in a container and let it sit for 24 hours.

50g of flour, 50g of water and your rye paste from above. Mix and let it sit for 24 hours.

Take 50g of above (discard the rest), 50g of water and 50g of flour mix and let sit for 24 hours.

You should see some activity in the above at this point. If you don't, then don't despair, just repeat again at the 24 hour mark. If you have seen activity at this point repeat at the 24 hour mark. Simple. :)

If you saw activity on the last one start the process at the 12 hour mark. It doesn't need to be a lot of activity. Once you start the 12 hour feedings you will need to keep them up and the starter should get stronger over time. It is ready when it can double itself in about 6-9 hours.

Once it is ready you can make bread with it, but before you do you should make more than the standard feed. For example doing a 1:1:1 feed of 50g each of water, flour and stater you might consider taking 120g of the starter and match it 1:1:1 so that you end with about 360g so you have enough for bread AND to continue your starter.

You should go through a really foul smelling phase 4-8 days in. It will be bad. That is the bad things in the stew dying. It will mellow and smell right at some point.

If the thing gets black spots in it then you should pitch and start again, that is mold and you don't want that.

Regarding straining the grapes would straining through muslin or a coffee filter work at keeping the bits of grape out?
Sorry for repeating myself here but the first post disappeared when I sent it. It must have gone the scenic route because it's popped up now.

Back
Top Bottom