ISO help w/spaghetti sauce in pressure cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruffus

Assistant Cook
I would like to know if someone has tips on how to avoid burning spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker? Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't cook spaghetti sauce, or any other sauce, in a pressure cooker. The original intent of a pressure cooker is to decrease cooking time and make tender tough cuts of meat. High altitude cooking (braising, for instance), almost demands the use of a pressure cooker for select meats (usually roasts) and stews.

In my experience, homemade spaghetti sauce benefits from simple long time simmering on a very low heat with occasional stirring. I don't think using a pressure cooker would gain you anything flavor-wise, but that's just my opinion. :chef:

What Selkie said. I could see using the pressure cooker to can your sauce, but not to make it.

You definitely get the concentration of flavors in a PC. I made spaghetti sauce in mine before and in 20 minutes I had sauce that tasted like it had been simmering for hours. I do prefer to make my sauce stovetop though. Probably because I like to fiddle with it while it cooks. I think it was 20 minutes... I know it wasn't longer.

If I made Grandma Lovulo's sauce in a pressure cooker, she'd be spinning in her grave, and my mother would again be haunting my dreams. She might even make the top of the pressure cooker blow off.

I simmer my meatballs and Italian sausage in my sauce, and I don't think 20 minutes in the pressure cooker could extract and meld the flavours that 2 hours on the stove top will.

Last edited:
>>sausage pasta sauce

that was my first thought - perhaps it's the meat portion of a recipe that's driving the idea....

there is one trick to achieving lower heat that your burner puts out on the lowest setting - a "flame tamer"

these can be high temp ceramic or metal - I've seen metal wires formed into various patterns that _might_ work with electric burners (but not so much with gas)

you put the plate between the burner and the pot . . .

in the slow simmer method the occasional stir is most helpful in keeping the sauce from 'settling out' - gets thick on the bottom... not sure how that goes in a pressure cooker.

I wouldnt use a PC for sauce. When I make mine, I start it the night before I want to have it done and cook low all night and til dinner time :) Usually its kind of thick and more so if I add any meats at the end.

I think Simple is Best!

While I have enjoyed many long, slow, simmered spaghetti sauces over the years, I find that simple sauces made in 45 minute or less are still my favorite. Marcella Hazan's recipe with 5T butter, 28 oz San Marzano Tomatoes, broken up by hand, and an onion cut in half through the root end to keep both halves intact, simmered for about 40-45 minutes, then seasoned, is hard to beat. Also simple EVOO, minced garlic, salt, pepper, 28 oz San Marzano Tomatoes simmed about 40-45 minutes, adding lots of fresh basil chiffonade at the end, is also hard to beat!

I Agree!

Fresh whole tomatoes and sauces with chicken, pork, sausages, and meatballs can take longer.
I agree, and as I said, I have had some wonderful sauces that have even taken days to prepare. A real Bolognese is the perfect example, but my own personal preference is to be more traditional and have a pasta course and a meat course later in the meal. I once took a cooking class with Arthur Schwartz and he taught me to make the best Neapolitan meatballs with raisins and pine nuts. That is one of my preferred meat courses!

I agree, and as I said, I have had some wonderful sauces that have even taken days to prepare. A real Bolognese is the perfect example, but my own personal preference is to be more traditional and have a pasta course and a meat course later in the meal. I once took a cooking class with Arthur Schwartz and he taught me to make the best Neapolitan meatballs with raisins and pine nuts. That is one of my preferred meat courses!
Schwartz is pretty good. I use one of his recipes to make a nice chocolate and chestnut desert. Many Americans are not familiar with the primo e segundo piatti concept.

Last edited:
Oh, yes... you can make pasta sauce in the pressure cooker!!!

I would like to know if someone has tips on how to avoid burning spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker? Thanks

I can't believe some of the responses you got! You can absolutely make sauce in the pressure cooker - from fancy to easy.

Sausage is a good starter, but plain tomato and any classic Italian pasta sauce can be done under pressure.

20 minutes is entirely too long to cook a pasta sauce under pressure (unless you are doing the classic bolognese) and could explain the scorching problems some people are talking about.

The most important points are:

1. Use chopped or whole tomatoes so that the pan can reach pressure quickly.
2. Do not overcook the sauce.
3. If your pressure cooker is larger than 6L, add a couple extra tablespoons of water (your pressure cooker needs it).
4. Cook pasta one minute less than you usually would - pressure cooked pasta sauce can be pretty hot and it will keep cooking the pasta once you stir them together.

You can also cook the pasta directly in the sauce - but I'm still working on perfecting the "secret formula" for the right pasta shape, and quantity of liquid so that the results can be predictably al-dente!

happy pressure cooking, and let us know about your results!

Ciao,

Laura :chef:
hip pressure cooking

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers to my question, yesterday I cooked my spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker, it was excellent!!! but you have to control the heat if you do not want to burn it. I added a little bit more beef stock. If anybody had good recipes for pressure cookers could you please post them. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom