"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Help with Dumplings

I was told that dumplings are just biscuit dough. I have a rec. for something made in the oven and they want drop biscuits(can make with bisquick or use can biscuits) or is it dumpling on top .....its stew mixed with sour cream and these biscuits or dumplings on top,and bake till brown. What are they called would you say? Biscuits or dumplings? How does one tell the difference? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Some people knock open a can of refrigerator biscuits, peel them off and drop them on top of the bubbling stew and call it dumplings. However, I think if they are moist, they're dumplings. If they are browned and crisp, even on top of a stew, I would call them biscuits.
The stew with sour cream sounds interesting.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Everymom

Dumplings are chewier than biscuits IMO. Biscuit dough doesn't compare to dumplings in my world. My dumpling recipe is an egg beaten in a cup of milk and added to a cup of flour with some salt, stir til mostly smooth and drop by spoonfuls into soup or stew to cook. Nice and chewy.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The clue I see if if "bake til brown" on top that is biscuits. And the stew is then baked with them on top , and not covered.

If you want dumplings, then drop the dough in, and cover the dish until they are cooked, As dumplings, they will be more moist tbroughout and puff up from the steam created.

For a less doughy underside on the biscuits, cook the stew first, as per usual, either covered or oncovered. Then introduce the bisucuit dough the last 20 minutes or so. If you put the dough on a cold stew and then put in the oven, such as if you were reheating it, the bottoms come out soggy.

I prefer biscuits because you can make extra in a pan alongside and eat with butter and honey or jam.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
What are they called would you say? Biscuits or dumplings? How does one tell the difference? Thanks.
I don't see why it would really matter one way or the other, but FWIW I consider biscuits to be a standalone item that's baked, while dumplings are dough that's cooked in liquid.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Senior Cook

i did add the drop biscuits after the stew was in the oven awhile probably 20 min. then added the drop biscuits? and when they baked the bottom was still weird like but top was brown.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Maybe you should invent a new term, for example bisclings or dumpcuits.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior Cook

i dont know if this is a joke but got a pm says there are also biscuit type dumplings? Has anyone heard of these? thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Senior Cook

why is it u have to cover the dumplings why they are cooking. i know it steams them....but have seen where they dont. Is the texture bad if dont cover
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

To me a dumpling is cooked in liquid and incorporated into the whole dish more like noodles. Biscuits are on top as a crust or baked separately on the side. I'd be calling yours biscuits.