"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Help with making yogurt

how does adding more/less milk powder or more/less starter effect the yogurt ? i know that the longer i leave it to ferment the more tangy sour it becomes.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome!

What kind of help are you looking for? Are you not pleased with your yogurt, what's wrong with it?

I don't add milk powder to my yogurt. Why do you add it to yours? Is that the way the recipe is written, are you trying to add calcium/protein, trying to thicken the yogurt?

Yes, less or more starter will affect the finished product. Try to use the specified amount called for, usually 1 T. yogurt per quart of milk. Do not use more yogurt culture than that.

I will try to answer more questions for you, once I know what your issues are.....but I am about to be squopped by a rain storm and fully expect to lose internet connection..

Old 09-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

well i use powdered milk instead of milk and my yogurt taste perfect but the texture is a bit grainy, not smooth and creamy. hope that explains it.

i have no real recipe, make milk and boil it, then wait for it to cool and add yogurt as a starter then put it in a cooler with hot water for about 8 hours.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

opps. I don't have any experience with making yogurt with powered milk....you using instant milk powder, not non-instant? The instant will dissolve in water easily, the non-instant is for baking..
Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

thanks for your help, i was told that grainy yogurt is caused by Weak starter or milk being too hot when the starter was added. will give it another try 2moro.