ISO Help with making yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitemare

Assistant Cook
how does adding more/less milk powder or more/less starter effect the yogurt ? i know that the longer i leave it to ferment the more tangy sour it becomes.

Welcome!

What kind of help are you looking for? Are you not pleased with your yogurt, what's wrong with it?

I don't add milk powder to my yogurt. Why do you add it to yours? Is that the way the recipe is written, are you trying to add calcium/protein, trying to thicken the yogurt?

Yes, less or more starter will affect the finished product. Try to use the specified amount called for, usually 1 T. yogurt per quart of milk. Do not use more yogurt culture than that.

I will try to answer more questions for you, once I know what your issues are.....but I am about to be squopped by a rain storm and fully expect to lose internet connection..

well i use powdered milk instead of milk and my yogurt taste perfect but the texture is a bit grainy, not smooth and creamy. hope that explains it.

i have no real recipe, make milk and boil it, then wait for it to cool and add yogurt as a starter then put it in a cooler with hot water for about 8 hours.

opps. I don't have any experience with making yogurt with powered milk....you using instant milk powder, not non-instant? The instant will dissolve in water easily, the non-instant is for baking..

thanks for your help, i was told that grainy yogurt is caused by Weak starter or milk being too hot when the starter was added. will give it another try 2moro.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom