ISO Help with Stuffed Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryc1

Assistant Cook
I have had a (problem?)situation arise the last few times making stuffed cabbage, in that the meat still looks pink after proper cooking(2-2 1/2 hrs.). am I doing something wrong? have eaten it and it is good! Thanks Terry

Need to see your filling recipe. If there is a lot of celery in it, this could account for the pink color, as celery has natural chemicals in it that stains the meat pink.

A favorite stuffing recipe for stuffed cabbage:
2 parts Ground Beef
1 part Italian sausage (I use Cudaghi Sausage, but it isn't widely available)
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 minced onion
1/4 bread crumbs, or farina
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. coarse-grind black pepper
2 tbs, minced basil
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 tsp. red (Cayenne) pepper

Sauce: - your favorite marinara sauce/w mushrooms (I love mushrooms)

Here's a mostly authentic Cudaghi Sausage recipe:
Ingredients:
6 lb coarsely ground pork (Boston Butt is best)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbs. Crushed red pepper
6 tbs.. Salt
1 1/2 tbs. fennel seed
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 tbs. ground sage

Have the pork run through the grinder twice. Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Shape into eliptical patties for the famous Cudaghi Sandwich, where the patties are place into a hoagie roll, and topped with Mozzarella Cheese, and Marinara Sauce. I like to combing the sausage with beef to make meatballs, meatloaf, and other such things. Adn me, I often change the recipe, simply because I'm that kind of guy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I have had a (problem?)situation arise the last few times making stuffed cabbage, in that the meat still looks pink after proper cooking(2-2 1/2 hrs.). am I doing something wrong? have eaten it and it is good! Thanks Terry

Although I haven't seen this in a while, it could have something to do with products the stores use in the ground meat to make it look freshly ground longer. For my filling I use only ground beef, rice, chopped parsley and season-all. I bake mine in the oven or a big electric roaster with tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and saurkraut. I bake it for 4 - 5 hours. To keep the house from getting hot in the summer, I put the electric roaster on the back porch and the whole neighborhood can smell it cooking. I have occasionally had the meat still appear pink, but it's definately cooked. I think it would be cooked after 2 1/2 hours.

If you use bacon or sausage meat in the filling, the saltpetre in the curing mixture used in the manufacture of the bacon or sausage will keep the meat looking pink after cooking. Even a small amount of bacon in with ground meat will have this effect.

Although I haven't seen this in a while, it could have something to do with products the stores use in the ground meat to make it look freshly ground longer.
I'm quite shocked at that. That sort of adulteration of food is not allowed in the UK. Supermarkets and cheap butchers often legally use red lighting over the display to make meat look better but you wouldn't see that in shops selling good quality meat. (One of my cousins is a local authority Meat Inspector)

Last edited:
I'm quite shocked at that. That sort of adulteration of food is not allowed in the UK. Supermarkets and cheap butchers often legally use red lighting over the display to make meat look better but you wouldn't see that in shops selling good quality meat. (One of my cousins is a local authority Meat Inspector)

My cooked ground beef hasn't had that "still pink" look for a long long time, say 15 years or more. And I never knew for a fact that the stores were adding something to the meat, but someone told me they were. There is only 1 store in my neighborhood where I will buy ground beef. Many times when I buy it elsewhere, it looks nice and red, but when I get it home, the inside portion is brown looking. This store I buy it from is very busy and they are always bring out freshly ground meat to fill the case. Their meat is always good.

Nothing to do with the filling, but a friend of mine used to put the head of cabbage in the freezer for 30 minutes. I can't remember if she blanched it first or not. Anyone else do that?

On the Old "The French Chef" Julia showed a few ways to soften the cabbage leaves. Freezing the head was one of them. As the leave thaw out, the moisture softens them. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom