ISO help with taking care of fresh herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MicheleMarie - in your neck of the woods, thyme, sage, tarragon, oregano, chives, & mint are perennial & should return each spring. Rosemary is also a perennial, but may need some protection, as it's a bit more tender. In NY I grew mine up against the southfacing side of the house & it grew into a small shrub.

Parsley is a biennial, so it will come back the following year, but won't be as lush as it will be working towards going to seed. You're best off planting some fresh seed every year.

Basil & Lemon Verbena are tropicals & won't make it thru the winter. Lemon Verbena can be grown in a container & brought indoors if you have a southfacing sunny spot for it. Basil should be sown fresh each year.

Thanks Breezy! I have the perfect spot for these herbs. My black eyed susans did not return this year (well, at least most of them). I have been thinking about what to put in my spot right outside my deck - these herbs are perfect! Now, to get it to look like your beautiful herb garden! Thanks for the help!

Michelemarie said:
Thanks Breezy! I have the perfect spot for these herbs. My black eyed susans did not return this year (well, at least most of them). I have been thinking about what to put in my spot right outside my deck - these herbs are perfect! Now, to get it to look like your beautiful herb garden! Thanks for the help!
I'm in gardening hardiness zone 8, so a lot of these are easily perennials for me. Just wanted to make a small correction - the photo is from my garden, not Breezy's :)

Last edited:
A few quick questions

The strawberry clay pot has a hole on the bottom so needless to say...when I water...it makes a mess. Do I need to put a plate under it outside?

Also: Do I water on top and in each hole. If I water in each hole I have to tip it, or the dirt comes out and it makes a mess. I mean it is one big pot in a sense right? MY DH said you probably just water from the top until the soil gets wet through the whole pot.

No need to put a dish/plate under it when it's outside. When you bring it inside, you'll have to put a dish/plate under it to protect your floor.

What I normally do is water from the top and gently add a little to each little balcony.

Sounds like you're having fun.

You don't "have" to put a saucer underneath the pot outside, but doing so can definitely help the water situation.

Clay pots are very porous & release a lot of moisture through their sides. Plus, with all those plants you have a lot of root systems in a relatively small area. A saucer underneath the pot will allow both your watering water & rain to collect & wick up. And if you have an abundance of rainfall, you can just empty the saucer.

That outdoor herb garden looks good, well done! I've never wanted my own herb 'garden' per-se, I just don't have the ability to visualise and plan a good looking one.

Coles Supermarkets over here sell herb plants along with their fresh and minced herbs. So if you don't a small plastic packet, for only a bit more dosh you get the same amount (or more) herbage, except you go home and plant it out, and suddenly you don't have to buy that particular herb again ^_^

I've done this every few weeks for the past couple of months. So now I've got a bigarse Basil bush (Huge leaves on it, too... Thank you Seaweed Liquor), a nice stand of Chives, some Mint that is attempting to leave its pot and make a break for freedom, a small stand of Sage, just planted Oregano (I'm a bit worried about it... It wasn't doing too well when I put it outside just after I bought it, and it still looks a little sick), and this week I bought a single sprig of Rosemary. The last one is going to have to get a bigger pot then normal, I think. The others are all in 5L pots (Except for the sage), but on my experience it's going to want to become a tree. I guess I could keep it as a bonsai version, who really needs Rosemary with branches as long as their arms?

I bought or scavenged the buckets I keep them in. I also bought the cheapest potting mix I could find, and mixed it with some hydrated water saving crystals in 10L batches... I bought a $10 tub and it's still 2/3rds full, even after planting all those herbs and some other plants. When I transplant them I watered with some water doped with Seaweed Liquor which is a fantastic and cheap fertalizer. One capful in 10L of water, watered in thoroughly. I water them all every three days or so, and once every two months give them all some fertalizer. They seem to be doing fine, but I do live in Brisbane, which has a semi-tropical climate (Winter lows are usually 10 degrees Celcius).

Back
Top Bottom