ISO Homemade Energy Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bourbon

Senior Cook
I wasn't sure where to ask this but does anyone have any recipes for homemade energy type bars. A friend of mine wants to make them for his daughter. She's on a swim team and works out a lot. He usually buys them but wants to try to save money and perhaps give her something healthier.

What does he want to have in them? Does he want the protein powder stuff in there? (In which case I'm no help at all) or does he want a nut butter/fruit type thing? I have some recipes that include peanut butter and dried fruit and nuts, oats and bran. I can dig those out if that is what he is looking for.

Alix, I would be interested in seeing your recipes if you wouldn't mind ... Thank you in advance!!

I sometimes make an oatmeal cookie with added wheat germ and milled flax seed, coconut, other nuts. I use pretty much the same stuff in my home made granola, with the addition of dried fruit. One could put them in the cookies, too. You may want to find out what types of nuts, dried fruit, and seeds she likes, then experiment with an oatmeal cookie base. One can use peanut butter (or other nut butters) for part of the butter, depending on fruit, maybe not add as much sugar.

What does he want to have in them? Does he want the protein powder stuff in there? (In which case I'm no help at all) or does he want a nut butter/fruit type thing? I have some recipes that include peanut butter and dried fruit and nuts, oats and bran. I can dig those out if that is what he is looking for.

I just sent him a message and will post his response when I get it

I'm dashing away for a long weekend so if I don't reply after you post PM me to remind me. I'll be back Sunday night.

FWIW, Bob's Red Mill carries both soy- and hemp-based protein powder. I've used the soy powder before (in smoothies); it doesn't seem to affect the taste. Good luck nailing down the recipe! :)

Hey bourbon, sorry it took me so long to get back here. I've scoured my files and the only "energy bar" recipes I have include peanut butter. Sorry about that. I have one recipe that is called a "granola bar" recipe. It is really good and includes oats, raisins or nuts and that sort of thing but it isn't specifically an energy bar formula. Would you like me to post that? I don't know if it is what your friend wants but I'm happy to post it.

You can get almond butter or cashew butter in stores to replace the peanut butter, you know. I've done that as dh does not care for pb.

Back
Top Bottom