ISO Honey and Ginger Combo Help - How?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markannab

Assistant Cook
I signed up to this website especially to ask this question so I can help my wife out. :angel:
She recently visited a honey store that sold jars of honey with fine pieces of ginger through it. She liked the idea so came home, chopped up some fresh ginger and added it to some honey. Within hours, the honey had become very watery, evidently liquid from the ginger. She's tried two or three different methods without success.

Would anyone be able to help me out with an answer as to how it can be done without affecting the consistency of the honey? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Last edited:
First, I want to welcome you to Discuss Cooking!

I have never had this, let alone made it, but what about using dried ginger? Then the moisture from the honey would moisten the honey rather than the moisture from the fresh ginger watering down the honey.

:)Barbara

LOL Whoops--I obviously meant that the moisture from the honey would moisten the ginger, not the honey! Sorry about that!

Someone else with some experience with this might be able to help you further, but I think dried ginger might work.

Ginger honey does sound great!

:)Barbara

Hi, Mark,

There may be a component of the ginger that chemically changes the nature of the honey, making it more liquid.

I signed up to this website especially to ask this question so I can help my wife out. :angel:
She recently visited a honey store that sold jars of honey with fine pieces of ginger through it. She liked the idea so came home, chopped up some fresh ginger and added it to some honey. Within hours, the honey had become very watery, evidently liquid from the ginger. She's tried two or three different methods without success.

Would anyone be able to help me out with an answer as to how it can be done without affecting the consistency of the honey? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Hi, Mark. How fine were the pieces of ginger in the honey at the store? Did she chop the ginger that fine? Maybe using a zester or a microplane on the ginger would produce pieces fine enough that they wouldn't water down the honey. HTH.

With fresh ginger a little goes a long way. How much did she put in the honey??
You might try smaller amounts.. I have never had that problem. Just some thougjhts off the top of the ole bean

Welcome to DC!

I am kinda in the camp of thinking that dried ginger would work better then fresh due to the addition of liquid from fresh.

Zesting it will still keep it juicy as the zest is for helping release and capture a skin and essential oils, and I thing grating would be too wet too, just my opinion.

Maybe a couple of drops of a strong ginger infused oil?

Last edited:
How exactly is she making it? Is she using a food processor?

You might try, zesting or mincing the ginger very fine, mix it with some sugar, and let it macerate. Then either drain it in a seive or through cheesecloth and add it to the honey.

You might also try using crystallized ginger.

Back
Top Bottom