"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I guess I was not very clear in my request. I am looking for entrees or side dish ideas. Such as chicken and acncho chiles or black beans and guajillos.

Thanks,
Rehydrate the Guajillos or the Ancho chiles, and stuff with mixed meats, cooked in a tomato-based sauce, with walnuts. They're delish.

You can also rehydrate them, deseed them if you want, stuff with a large chunk of white cheese, wrap in a taco and fry - a sort of Chile Flauta. Serve on a bed of refried Black beans with plenty of lime juice and cilantro.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Master Chef

I put a couple of chilies into some stock (and sauteed onions & garlic), then cook rice or couscous in it. Before serving I take the dried chile out of it (much as you would a bay leaf). The smokier flavored chilies are best in beans, in my opinion. And, I, too, am queen of soup. No two soups are the same, but there are always soups in the freezer. If you take a basic stock (if you don't make your own, buy Swanson which is available everywhere), and drop in a dried chili or two. Cook until you get the flavor you want. Toss in a few noodles and some green onions, and a tablespoon or so of vinegar (I prefer rice for this purpose, but any white vinegar will do). Voila -- hot and sour soup!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for all the ideas. Now I'll have to go play with some ingredients.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Andy, you may want to try this Thai dish ... (Sauteed prawns with cashew and dried chili)

200 g Prawns, shelled, deveined, tail on
20 g Toasted Whole Cashew nuts
10 g White/Light colored part of spring onions, cut in 2-inch lengths
30 g Shitake mushrooms
20 g White onions, cut into chunks and separated
5 g Whole dried chilies

1. Dredge prawns in flour, S&P and fry until pink. Drain on paper towels.
2. Saute chopped garlic in oil. Add prawns and onions. Quickly add dried chilies, 1 T oyster sauce, 1 T chili paste, 1 T soy sauce, 2 T chicken stock, mushrooms, cashew, 1 T white sugar. Combine well.
3. Off-heat, sprinkle with spring onion and serve immediately.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks for all the ideas. Now I'll have to go play with some ingredients.
So amigo, what have you done with your chiles?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the reminder.

This is what I came up with. I am pleased with the results. It had a rich pepper flavor without having overpowering heat.

Pinto Beans with Chiles

½ Lb. Dry Pinto Beans
1 Tb Oil
3-4 Oz Pancetta or Bacon, diced1
1 Ea Onion, diced
3 Cl Garlic, minced
1 Ea Jalapeno, minced
1½ Tb Cilantro, dry
1 tsp Cumin
1 C Tomato
1 Ea Ancho Chile
1 Ea Guajillo Chile
1 Ea New Mexico Chile
1 Ea Chipotle Chile
3 C Chicken Broth
1 tsp Liquid Hickory Smoke2
TT Salt and Pepper

Soak the beans overnight in cold water.

Heat the oil in a 3- or 4-quart saucepan and add the pancetta/bacon. Sauté over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the lean is browned.

Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and sweat over medium-low heat until the onion is soft and translucent.

Add the cilantro and cumin and stir to combine.

Add the tomato.

Cut the dry chiles in half and shake out the seeds.

Add the dried chiles, broth, liquid smoke and drained beans. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered, for 1½ to 2 hours. Thicken the broth with a tablespoon or two of masa in a slurry, if necessary.

1 Bacon is preferred for its smoke flavor.
2 Eliminate or reduce this ingredient if bacon is used in place of the pancetta.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

As an added note, I don't think the variety of dried peppers I used is important to this dish. I used up some that I had laying around. I'm sure you could do this with just the chipotle and one other type, such as the ancho or New Mexico.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
Head Chef

Looks good to me. I've done pintos very much like that but with water instead of stock. Just made a pretty big batch of stock so I'll use your recipe tonight.

Question about guajillos. I find that the outer skin ends up floating in the dish like bits of saran wrap. I almost have to powder them first or puree and strain them later. Have you ever encountered this?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Looks good to me. I've done pintos very much like that but with water instead of stock. Just made a pretty big batch of stock so I'll use your recipe tonight.

Question about guajillos. I find that the outer skin ends up floating in the dish like bits of saran wrap. I almost have to powder them first or puree and strain them later. Have you ever encountered this?
I did have a little of that. You can reconstitute the dried chiles in the broth and puree them before combining with the beans and other ingredients.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
I did have a little of that. You can reconstitute the dried chiles in the broth and puree them before combining with the beans and other ingredients.
As an alternative to puree and strain, I've found that after steeping 15 minutes or so the "meat" of the guajillo can be scraped with a knife off of the cellophane like skin. Glad to hear you have the same problem. I was afraid I had a bad source of chiles.