"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

ISO Ideas for cooking with dried chiles

I'm sitting here trying to get out of a cooking rut.

Looking over an accumulation of recipes and what's in the cupboard, I see that I have a selection of dried chiles. Ancho, New Mexico, Guajillo, Chipotle and Cascabel.

I also have a selection of meats in the freezer and am about to go shopping for some stuff for other dishes I'm planning to make.

So I'm asking for ideas of what to cook with this selection of chiles. I'm open to any ideas for meat or starch dishes.

Help me out of a rut!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Everymom

Well, I'm a soup girl myself. I made a wicked chicken soup that was sort of loosely based on the chicken enchilada soup at Chili's restaurant. Your dried anchos would be perfect in it.

Just make chicken soup, toss the chiles in whole to flavour the soup and remove them when its at its desired heat level. Or...you could let them flavour the soup and then at the end take them out, dice them up and use them as a garnish when serving. Mmmmm.

I'm so jealous Andy. Sound like a cupboard of goodness.

Um...I would maybe try using some in a meat mixture as a stuffing in tortellinis too.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook

i asked for uses for dried ancho chilis and got some good ideas here
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...lis-26314.html
Old 09-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

Now before you scratch me off as a complete nut, remember, I'm not the first to try this wonderful way of using chilis.

Crush dried chilis and add to fine milk chocolate in a double boiler. Add raisins and stir to coat. Drip by spoonfulls onto parchment paper or waxed paper lined cookie sheet. You can also add broken pecans or walnuts to this. Haven't tried it with broken or crushed hazlenuts, but I think it would work.

Also, try adding a single dried chili to you morning cup of Joe or hot chocolate. On a cold winter morning, it sure leaves you with a wonderful warm feeling before stepping out into the cold.

And of course, if you are suffering from a sinus inflamation, or cold, or flue, it will help clear your sinuses, depending on how much pepper you use.

For a suprizing difference, add dried peppers to your next batch of lime or pineapple jello. The flavors go well with each other.

Andy, I know you to be one great and adventurous cook. Give these ideas a try. You'll be suprized by them. I mean, can you imagine making milk or dark chocolate almond bark laced with crushed dried-peppers? Think of your guests reactions. It would be great at Christmas time.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
You could always rehydrate those ancho chiles and try out some mole. I would probably use the chipotles to make a salsa of some sort.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess I was not very clear in my request. I am looking for entrees or side dish ideas. Such as chicken and acncho chiles or black beans and guajillos.

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Andy,
Use the enchilada sauce without the beef and top your grilled chicken and pork with it. You can also add the dried chilis to Spanish rice, whole or pureed, and in pinto beans to make charro beans. If you grind the dried peppers you can spice up some chorizo (sausage). When we were in New Mexico, we had some awsome side dishes like pozole (homony) flavored with these chilis, corn and chilis, menudo (cow's tummy) is also spiced up with these chilis. Chilaquiles with ancho sauce topped with cheese are a great appetizer. Chili, chimichangas, burritos are also dishes you can do. Let me look up more recipes for you and I'll PM them to ya.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm licking my lips, Dina!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
LOL...just use the basic sauce I gave you and play with it. Well, you know what I mean. The sky's the limit with these chilis.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Head Chef

I'll add half a dozen guajillos to a braised pork roast, then puree them and add to the gravy.
Add an ancho and a cascabel per cup of dried beans to spice up the frijoles.

I have anchos, guajillos, pasillas, cascabels, and chipotles in the cupboard but haven't been using them much because it's been to hot for stews etc. Now that the dog days are over I'll get back into it.

I'm looking forward to reading more replies to your post.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote