ISO ideas: Thanksgiving repurposed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Thanksgiving was at my place this year and I was left with a lot of leftovers. Chief Longwind threw me a curveball when he decided to roast another turkey (we already had one I was roasting and his smoked beauty) and bring it down with him. Then he and Mom left without taking any leftovers. Our other guests took a little, but we still have a ton. We've been eating plates of leftovers, turkey sandwiches, turkey salad sanwiches. I made coconut curried turkey and turkey tetrazzini. I am just about turkey-ed out. I'll finish our traditional turkey soup tonight and freeze it. I've already frozen a bunch but my freezer will be completely full after the soup and I need to start using this frozen turkey soon. I need space in my freezer.

I'm looking for ideas to sort of re-purpose the turkey meat. Mine was roasted with a celery-onion butter under the skin, but no herbs or spices and his was done with just salt and butter, so the meat is fairly neutral flavor-wise. Anyone have any great recipes that I could put turkey in that don't taste like Thanksgiving dinner all over again? I'm looking for something that will somewhat hide the turkey flavor, because I'm getting pretty sick of it.

You could make something with flavorful sauces that would not taste like Thanksgiving (BBQ, Sweet & Sour, etc.).

Mix with spicy Ingrediabts and potato and make empanada/samosa type things?

Ravioli, pot pie, use it in pasta dishes. Freeze what you can't use and save for later.

Thank you! I did a search but didn't come up with this thread, so I started my own. I thought it was bit bit strange that nobody was talking about their leftovers. I guess I should have just looked under poultry. :) Most of the ideas are pretty turkey-tasting, but there were a couple that sounded like what I'm looking for.

Thank you all for the ideas!

Freeze it in dinner size potions. Take it out later, when you've got your hunger for turkey back and make whatever sounds good to you at the time. Don't try to use it all up at once. Relax, take a break from turkey.

Zhizara said:
Freeze it in dinner size potions. Take it out later, when you've got your hunger for turkey back and make whatever sounds good to you at the time. Don't try to use it all up at once. Relax, take a break from turkey.

+1

Tastes really good in July!

Hit it with a little adobo powder and warm it up in some mojo. Use it in place of the pork in a Cuban sandwich or mix it with a sofrito and use as a stuffing for empanadas.

I'm not a great fan of turkey but something simple such as well seasoned turkey burgers/cheese burgers with your favorite relish/ sauce and french fries is a guilty pleasure and hits the spot, especially at this time of year.

Don't forget that if you truly have more than you can keep in your freezer but don't want it to go to waste, freeze a pot pie or something & take it to a local fire house or ambulance house along with the recipe and gift it to the ones who are out working in the cold & miss a lot of holidays & leftovers. I don't know if food banks would take home-prepared food but you could ask.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom