ISO info on calorie-free shirataki noodles....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
Shirataki noodles--i've seen them demonstrated on tv a few times now. i understand they come from the root of an asian yam-type plant, contain fiber and no calories!! has anyone tasted this "pasta" or used it in a recipe? do they have a rubbery texture? are they here to stay, or just a diet fad of the moment? i love the idea of unrestricted quantities of pasta....:pig::)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't aware that they are considered diet food, but apparently so, according to google's search results. I like them, and eat them somewhat often. But, mostly in winter, because I can't think of any Japanese dishes other than nabe-mono or "things-in-a-pot." For example, they are almost always an ingredient in sukiyaki.

You're right to suspect, vitauta. They are a bit rubbery in texture, but that's in comparison to wheat pastas. I would think that the way it looks would throw people off a bit -- translucent grey with specks of brown and black. Unlike the beautiful coil or drape of a strand of spaghetti, shirataki in comparison is curly and squirmy, kinda wormy.

Asian markets sell the noodles suspended in liquid, in sealed bags. I've never heard of them made as a dried product. It also comes in a block form called konyaku. Its rubbery, tough gelatin texture is quite pronounced as say, a slice of two-by-one-by-quarter inch. You would find that in a pot of oden, a stew of mostly root vegetables popular at subway stations among drunk businessmen trying to catch the last train.

I'm not a fan of konyaku in large pieces, but I like shirataki in sukiyaki or shabu-shabu pots very much. Try it, you might like it.

If you haven't looked it up already, here's the wiki, mostly accurate...
Shirataki noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I have some in my fridge right now--they are white and look a lot like fine noodles. They do have a strange, rubbery texture--if you are expecting something exactly like wheat pasta you will be disappointed. (Just checked--mine have tofu in them too.)

I have used them in soup, or in a sort of seafood alfredo.

I like them, and wish I could find them closer to home--I have to shop for them when I visit my son or my sister.

I have some in my fridge right now--they are white and look a lot like fine noodles. They do have a strange, rubbery texture--if you are expecting something exactly like wheat pasta you will be disappointed. (Just checked--mine have tofu in them too.)

I have used them in soup, or in a sort of seafood alfredo.

I like them, and wish I could find them closer to home--I have to shop for them when I visit my son or my sister.

the main obstacle as i see it with these noodles is finding where to buy them. i guess i won't get to try them until they hit the mainstream supermarkets. :(

I have bought the "NOOODLE" brand online Welcome to NoOodle.com
They are not bad. You just need to rinse VERY thoroughly with warm water in a strainer. Stir fry them well until pretty dry before using in a recipe. Seasoned well, I like them.

I have bought the "NOOODLE" brand online Welcome to NoOodle.com
They are not bad. You just need to rinse VERY thoroughly with warm water in a strainer. Stir fry them well until pretty dry before using in a recipe. Seasoned well, I like them.

oKAY, i'm ready to give your noOodles a go. i see they have a new risotto-like product, too. but it comes in a 4.4lb. size only!? the regular one doesn't come cheap, either - it's $5.98 for two 8oz. packets. i hope they carry these nooodles at my kroger store. thanks, jgdean. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if shirataki noodles show up at your local market.

Went to my Asian market yesterday. Took the opportunity to take a second updated look at konyaku products on offer. Yup, they do come in white, appearing convincingly like pasta. I saw the package below and was intrigued by it. Rather than tofu, it's made with a combination of soy and yam flour. I'm thinking the addition of tofu might temper shirataki's rubberiness. I like the way the noodles look, formed exactly like thick flat fettucini. The House brand, based in Garden Grove (CA), is not my favorite, but it is the brand most common in the ethnic aisle of supermarkets everywhere. Just ask your store's manager to checkmark this product the next time they re-order from the House Corp. Sure enough, there's an endorsement on the back of the package by a website called hungry-girl.com. I've actually heard of them, but it was in the context of cultural criticism over Asian women's obsession with unhealthy thinness. I'm looking forward to taste test this with Zhizara's alfredo sauce (there goes the diet!)

img_1039814_0_244f09a54632fdff6e25f71d5629a88b.jpg

looks like a good site, snip, one i'll be referring back to. i think i'm gonna like these noodles--if i ever get 'em home. thanks! :)

My pleasure, glad I could help :)
I just looked it up out of curiosity and it looked pretty useful. I'm afraid I'm at the other end of the diet world. I need to gain weight and can't seem to get it right. I've all but given up, guess I'll just have to look like a plank for the rest of my life :LOL:
Wouldn't mind some curves :(

My pleasure, glad I could help :)
I just looked it up out of curiosity and it looked pretty useful. I'm afraid I'm at the other end of the diet world. I need to gain weight and can't seem to get it right. I've all but given up, guess I'll just have to look like a plank for the rest of my life :LOL:
Wouldn't mind some curves :(

snip, i was a plank all my life until three years ago when i turned into a whole wood cord. plank was way better. skinny flat-chested girls get plenty of attention, way more attention than wood piles. enjoy it while you got it snip--you get to eat whatever you want, how much you want, whenever you want, with no thoughts about portion control, points, carbs, calories, etc....your good friend metabolism won't be your bff....:)

I personally love these noodles. You can cook them any way, and ny style and they taste just like pasta. My personal favorite is shirataki noodles and meatballs, it tastes just like pasta and meatballs.

Back
Top Bottom