"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO info source for flavour matching and general culinary education

Okay, another question!

I've been watching a LOT of "Chef at Home" (Michael Smith) on Food Network Canada and he always talks about flavour matching...like ALL the time..."well this flavour is a natural match wit the fennel in this sausage" or "of course...when using terragon, **** is a natural accompaniment" or, on the other hand "as this is [blank] is such a strong flavour, it accents the [blank2] as opposed to complementing it"...(etc etc ad nauseum).

I'm wondering, as an "culinarily uneducated beginner", is there a good source of information for things like what Michael Smith is talking about? A book? A good website? Some sort of list?

On a related note...as much as I'd enjoy going to culinary school and learning to chef it up, it'd be merely for the sake of personal interest as opposed to an actual desire to become a "chef" (considering I'm 2/3 of the way through law school). As such, I'd really like to "learn" more...and I'm not sure how to go about it, or even what I want to learn, because I don't know what I don't know! Things like techniques, temperatures, different types of stirring...you name it. My girlfriend tells me I'm more than a bit OCD and when I get on a kick, I need to learn all about the area in question - she's more or less right.

So with that in mind, is there a good series of books or a good website where all this kind of thing can be learned? Or is it best learned by simply asking a lot of annoying questions and harassing you folks on a forum like this?

Thanks for any advice!

Mike

Old 05-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

This book is a good resource for this, because there is a large section on pairing and matching flavors. Please be advised that this is NOT a cookbook, but rather a reference tool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...lance&n=283155
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

that's great ic, thanks for that link! I'll take a look
Old 05-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi Mike! I wrote an article on cooking foods that go well together. To be honest it's not necessarily as detailed as to specifying what ingredients complement one another but focuses more on the characteristics of food.

Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=179291

Brandi
Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Ah, thanks Brandi. I have often wondered about that as well, as my meals are usually pretty haphazard.

I was thinking more specifically of what kinds of spices go together (and with what other flavours) and that kind of thing, but your article brings to mind something I hadn't previously considered much, thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Senior Cook

When I was at the book store last night, I was looking at the huge variety of general reference/learning books.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good intro (but not TOTALLY basic) cooking book? There are so many to choose from, I figured a bit of advice wouldn't hurt...
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
At one point in the "beginning" I took out all my spices and herbs and read on the bottles/cans/whatever they are in, what they went with. It really helped.

Also, here is a good site that may have some good reading to it - http://msucares.com/lawn/herbs/herbal_cooking.html It does at least give some insite.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks elf, that's great!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Elf,

You can go to a bookstore or library and get a book that talks about flvor profiles for each country. If you looked up India for instance it would cover different curries etc, Greece - the use of oil and oregano things like that. It would give you a good base to start with.
Mark
Old 05-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The Culinary Artistry is good Im in the middle of reading it right now.