ISO: Knock Your Socks Off Side for Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
OK - someone is bringing some sort of broccoli, someone else is doing eggplant, someone is bringing bread....

I'm looking for a knock-your-socks-off side dish recipe that I can have made by 6:00.

Any suggestions?

You need a starch.

Traditional sides would be like mac and cheese or even waffles.

How about potato salad or red beans and rice.

No question about it ...It has to be potato salad... goes great with fried cicken !! And if you need a southern tater salad recipe let me know...

I was leaning towards potato salad - it is now confirmed :chef:

Thanks guys - I might even do a German potato salad or a tarragon and red potato recipe.

Any suggestions for a potato salad are welcome too!

LOL Amy - I think I've made that one about the last 4 times we have all gotten together - thought I'd give everyone a break from it. Though someone did suggest I bring it! LOL

I was leaning towards potato salad - it is now confirmed :chef:

Thanks guys - I might even do a German potato salad or a tarragon and red potato recipe.

Any suggestions for a potato salad are welcome too!

Definitely potato salad. The perfect "go with." I would also put out some fresh, sliced tomatoes for color.

LOL Amy - I think I've made that one about the last 4 times we have all gotten together - thought I'd give everyone a break from it. Though someone did suggest I bring it! LOL

Do I have a good memory, or what! :LOL: It's still on my list to try. I wanted to mention the tomato pie ;) (as I luv it w fried chicken)... but, someone is bringing bread. How about a big green salad?

Thanks for the link Andy M.

Amy - if I brought a big green salad I would get shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

Going to the store now - I think it's going to be a "basic" type recipe - I think fried chicken just calls for a good old-fashioned potato salad.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks for the link Andy M.

Amy - if I brought a big green salad I would get shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

Going to the store now - I think it's going to be a "basic" type recipe - I think fried chicken just calls for a good old-fashioned potato salad.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

You, you, you Veggie hater, you! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) Hey, ya didn't give us much time or I'd suggest an appy that would knock their shoes off (maybe). How about some wine ;) & p/u a cheesecake. They'll forget all about the chicken. :LOL: Have a great get-to-gether.

Black Eye Pea Salad

2 cups black eye peas
4 oz. white onion - diced
6 oz. red bell peppers - diced
4 oz. black olives - chopped
1 tbsp oregano
4 oz. parsley
(great with cilantro too)

For the dressing:
6 oz. EVOO
Zest of half a lime
4 oz. white vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix dressing in a separate bowl and pour over salad.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.

This is even better the second day.

Note to Beth and GB - ok, food for thought - how about a corn pudding with the mixture that GB suggested in there! It could we well-drained say the second day - sort of a use for the left-overs!!!!!!!!!!! Now THAT just may be worth trying!!!! I might try it in my Cheesy Spoon Bread - maybe even add some andouille to it and just have it for a dinner - SOON! LOL

You, you, you Veggie hater, you! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) Hey, ya didn't give us much time or I'd suggest an appy that would knock their shoes off (maybe). How about some wine ;) & p/u a cheesecake. They'll forget all about the chicken. :LOL: Have a great get-to-gether.

Hey, it's not me that's the veggie hater!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen nice salads sit there - all lonely and untouched at these gatherings! :LOL:

I know this is too late, but just for the record, when my mom made her absolutely fabulous fried chicken when I was growing up (haven't made it in years - might have to if it ever gets cool here again), she made plain white rice and a wonderful gravy from the frying oil and seasoning flour.

Chicken Gravy

2 tbsp. frying oil from fried chicken
2 tbsp. seasoning flour from fried chicken
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

After frying chicken, pour off all but 2 tbsp. oil. Sprinkle flour over oil and whisk together, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and boil 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over rice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom