"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I tried the mayo instead of the egg because sometimes the egg flavor tends to overpower. This was the first time I tried it and I was very pleased with the result and will probably do it that way again. I couldn't taste the Panko or the mayo. just salmon.

The way I made fish patties (tuna or salmon) before, I used seasoned breadcrumbs and an egg. They tasted like fishy fried eggs. Yuk!

Unfortunately, I don't have cod available.
You live in N.O. You could make fish cakes of any number of fish. Do they sell salted cod in the wooden box in your supermarket? Here it is very expensive so I can imaginge what it would cost down there. Most of our salted cod comes in from P.E.I. in Canada.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Normally, I don't fry anything, but I received 2 cans of salmon, two months in a row, and I just wanted to recreate the salmon croquettes like I used to get in the school lunchroom, oh so many, many years ago.

We kind of got off topic here, though.

Back to meatloaf: I like the idea someone posted of using chili sauce instead of catsup.

If I've used leftover cornbread as my filler, I also use a taco seasoning packet and top with salsa.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Even garlic?

Ducks and runs.
Definitely!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Definitely!
Twice cooked garlic
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Normally, I don't fry anything, but I received 2 cans of salmon, two months in a row, and I just wanted to recreate the salmon croquettes like I used to get in the school lunchroom, oh so many, many years ago.

We kind of got off topic here, though.

Back to meatloaf: I like the idea someone posted of using chili sauce instead of catsup.

If I've used leftover cornbread as my filler, I also use a taco seasoning packet and top with salsa.
When I am lazy I use the McCormick meatloaf seasoning in the packet.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Has anyone made the individual meatloaf in muffin tins? Since muffin tins do not have a way of letting out the rendered fat, that the individual loafs would be sitting in a pool of juices and fats. You would have to use a very lean meat.

And when you make a sandwich the next day, do you put it on the bread in slices or do you mash it and then spread it on the bread? I like to mash mine and add a touch of ketchup. Plus spread ketchup on the bread. It helps to hide the taste of the bread.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #57
Master Chef

I was asked for the Chicken Meatloaf recipe, so here it is. Enjoy.

Chicken Meatloaf
Ingredients:
All veggies must be finely minced
*2 lb. ground chicken (I grind it myself and it's virtually fat free)
*3 stalks celery
*1 stalk bok choy
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1 onion, minced
*2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
*1/8 tsp. Chines 5-spice powder
*2 tbs soy sauce
*2 fresh cayenne, or your favorite hot peppers, *minced (optional)
*3 tbs. milk

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Grease a loaf pan. Place the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and place in a 350' oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 160' in the loaf center.

When finished, run a knife around all sides, let rest for 10 minutes or so, and turn loaf onto a serving platter. Serve with plumb sauce, or your favorite sweet & sour sauce.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
Ingredients:
Chicken bones from one whole d-boned chicken
Skin from the same chicken
1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple with can liqueur
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups water
apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/2 onion, finely minced, or 1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
a dash of Chinese 5-spice powder

Place the chicken skins in a dry sauce pan over medium heat, along with the bones. Cook until the skins are crispy. Lightly salt it all and stir to brown the bones on all sides. Add the water and cover. cook at a low boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove the skins and bones. Taste it. Add salt until it tastes just right to you.

Add the remaining ingredients except the vinegar and stir to dissolve the brown sugar. The sauce should have a bright, sharp flavor, where each ingredient can be tasted, and each is bold. It also should be fairly sweet. Correct the seasonings until you get the flavor just where you want it. But remember, add spices sparingly. You can always add more if you need to. But once you put it in the pot, you can't take it out.

Ok, is it just right? Good. Now add the vinegar, a splash at a time. Stir it in and taste it. You will know when the sweet and sour components are balanced just right.

Finally, make a slurry of two tbs. cornstarch in a 1/4 cup of water. Slowly stir that into the boiling sauce until it develops to the thickness you want. Remove from heat and cover until the rest of your meal is ready.

This sweet & sour sauce goes great with rice, chicken chow mein, egg rolls, spring rolls, chicken meat balls, chicken meat loaf, pork, bbq'd pork, etc. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, recipe