ISO Metric equivalent of 'cup' weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when my sister brought me the muffin book from the US she gave a cup measure and this "bunch of spoons" with teaspoon, tablespoon and halfs and quarters of it.. very very useful, I have to admit.

Use one or the other , don't try to convert. I use a set of measuring cups specifically for this , if a recipe calls for a cup then that's what I use .

I'm working on converting many of my recipes that use dry measure cups to grams. It's just so much easier to weigh out 1 3/4 cups of something than to use 2 or 3 measuring cups. For liquids, it's not a problem. All my liquid measure cups have US measures on one side and metric on the other.

That, of course Taxlady, is how I have done it myself until now. It works fine but it is nice now to have the choice ( and more toys ,ie 'shiny cups' to play with!! )

That, of course Taxlady, is how I have done it myself until now. It works fine but it is nice now to have the choice ( and more toys ,ie 'shiny cups' to play with!! )
Actually, I measure with a cup and then weigh it and note the weight on the recipe. Many of them have several, different weights next to the cup amounts. :ermm: One of these days I'll figure out some averages. I guess I could put a note with the gram weights as to how well the recipe turned out, but there isn't usually much variation in how it turns out. I guess that means that precision isn't all that important in those cases.

I'm not sure if this would work in France but...

In the USA packages have nutritional information that includes serving size. The serving size is usually given in two different units of measure. For example, all purpose flour gives a serving size of 1/4 cup and a weight of 30 grams. Simple math tells you a cup of flour should weigh 120 grams. That's the easy way.

Attachments

• 1778809101_56b4e52bed.jpg
    1778809101_56b4e52bed.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 838
I'm not sure if this would work in France but...

In the USA packages have nutritional information that includes serving size. The serving size is usually given in two different units of measure. For example, all purpose flour gives a serving size of 1/4 cup and a weight of 30 grams. Simple math tells you a cup of flour should weigh 120 grams. That's the easy way.
Great idea Andy.

Some of the stuff here in Canada lists stuff that way. Unfortunately my organic bread flour lists per 45 grams and the organic pastry flour lists per 42 grams, no cups or even the word "serving".

The brown sugar lists 1 tsp and 4 grams. But, starting with that small an amount, I would be afraid that the rounding error would get magnified.

Back
Top Bottom