ISO Muffuletta recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I saw some food show on muffuletta sandwiches from New Orleans with ripe black olives and sauteed veggies and herbs. Can anyone share their recipe, please? Thanks.

my fave a big round of sour dough
spicy sopprosetta salami
genoa salami
parmesan pepperoni
ham
cajun turkey
green olives
black olives
red onions
roasted red peppers
marinated artichokes
marinated mushrooms
sliced green peppers
provolone
swiss cheese
boccancini
crushed red chili peppers

slam it all together
wrap in foil and bake 30 mins
serve with a nice green salad

Mine is right from the hallowed halls of Central Grocery on Decatur Street, complete with the olive salad they make.

Round bread
Salami
Ham
Provolone
(ocassionally mortadella)
Central Grocery Olive Salad

Abita beer!

Putting a bunch of ingredients on a round loaf of bread doesn't make it a muffaletta..
I don't care for the warm muffalettas, either.

To me there are two aspects to the sandwich, the olive salad and the rest of the sandwich.

We make the salad with crushed garlic, pimento-stuffed green olives (the ones in the jaar), the canned black ripe olives, the roasted red peppers in the jar cut into smaller pieces, olive oil, and just a tad of vinegar (red or white wine or any vinegar will work). The vinegar should be far, far less than that added for a vinagrette. Maybe a tablespoon or two to a cup of oil.

You mix the salad together and let stand overnight. It comes out much better when left at least overnight.

Also, one can substitute or add other types of olives.

For the sandwich part take some kind of Italian or hard bread and cut in half horiztally. We actually think a round loaf works best. We tear out some of the bread from the center of the loaf. Then we dribble some of the juice from the salad on the bread. This gives it a very good taste.

Then add the meats between the slices. Italian cold cuts are best. Genoa, mortadella, capicolla, prosciutto, you name it. For cheeses provolone and any other mild Italian cheese you can find. Layer the meats and cheeses and toss on the salad.

There is nothing better.

Now, some good news.

If you don't have access to the Italian cold cuts, or just one, it will taste great with the sliced ham you can find, any salami, turkey (prefer smoked but go with it), a decent bologna, and mild cheeses.

Mufaletta sandwiches are actually so simple to make. Hope you make one. Enjoy.

"We make the salad with crushed garlic, pimento-stuffed green olives (the ones in the jaar), the canned black ripe olives, the roasted red peppers in the jar cut into smaller pieces, olive oil, and just a tad of vinegar "

I also put capers and anchovies in mine.

Dina said:
I saw some food show on muffuletta sandwiches from New Orleans with ripe black olives and sauteed veggies and herbs. Can anyone share their recipe, please? Thanks.
Dina, the only muffuletta I've ever had is made with a green olive "salad". I realize I promised to post my recipe in another thread. I'll try to do that tonight.

Uncle Bob said:
Andy....

A Muffuletta is not pressed in New Orleans where the sandwich originated!
Uncle Bob, I think the pressing comes from the packing to take on a picnic. I've always had it pressed (IN New Orleans) when it's "to go."

Uncle Bob said:
By hand or mechanically??

Panini press??? Geroge Forman grill? How is it pressed?

UB. The pressing I was referring to wat not a heated press, just a weight on the wrapped sandwich to flatten it a little.

I am not aware of people flattening mufalettas whether by simple press or a heated one.

And have had a number including some in NO.

But heck, it is your mufaletta and I am not at all sure a bit of weight would do anything but help the juices get into the bread. Which is exactly what one wants.

As for a panini muffaletta, why not?

For those who have never tried one, please do. I cannot imagine anyone not loving them.

Andy M. said:
UB. The pressing I was referring to wat not a heated press, just a weight on the wrapped sandwich to flatten it a little.

Where I come from most people use there hand to "press" lightly the second piece of bread on top of a sandwich whether it is a bologna, pb&j, or muffuletta, or a hamburger. So if that was your question, then yes they give the top piece of bread a slight press with the palm of their hand. I have never seen weights in Central Grocery where they were "invented" over 100 years ago. It's just a sandwich, plain and simple, made the same way as Salvtore Lupo, a Sicilian immigrant did in 1906. It ain't rocket science!

auntdot said:
For those who have never tried one, please do. I cannot imagine anyone not loving them.

Everytime we return from NOLA, our last stop before the airport is a final visit to Central Grocery...for 4 muffalettas 'to go'. Lou and I share one in the airport, waiting to board. The other three are distributed to those who have become accustomed to receiving them upon our return (and have also become accustomed to threatening us if we don't return with them...):ermm:

Back
Top Bottom