ISO New Ways to Cook Ground Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjgadson

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a cheap way to use 1 lb of ground beef that good yet simple fast cheap. O and also baby friendly:)

Shepherds pie.
You can puree a carrot layer a potato layer and a beef layer.
You can puree any vegetable layer you want.

Last edited:
Chop up one stalk of celery into small pieces (mince or puree if needed for baby). Chop up 8 oz. mushrooms (mince if needed for baby). Brown hamburger with celery and mushrooms. Add a little cream or milk and butter, just enough to sort of make a sauce. Serve over rice, egg noodles, bread/toast or potatoes. You can also add onion, garlic and black pepper if desired.

Good Morning,

Firstly, interesting post.

If we are speaking about ground beef only, then Steak Tartar is on the top of my list ... I serve it as an appetiser in stemware ... with tiny forks ... an array of breads and charcuterie and cheeses, pickles, hard boiled egg, and assorted items, capers, Almagro Eggplant from Ciudad Real, Castilla La Mancha which is a tiny variety used in pickling industry ...

If we are discussing mixing the varieties, 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork ground meat, then:

Meatballs, Moussaka, Lasagne traditional of Emilia Romagna and Baked Eggplant handled as a Lasagne however, with layers of eggplant verses the lasagne sheets ... Metaloaf is another option ... and another idea, has come to the think tank, a baked potato filled with ground beef & a Chili con Carne of sorts ...

A home made blue rare burger with BBQ hickory salsita ...

Happy Holidays.
Kind Regards.
Margi.

you can make kebab with rice.
put ground meat, chopped onion, chopped fresh parsley, 2 -3 tablespoons tomato juice, salt pepper to taste in a bowl.
cook half cup rice , rinse it well and when cold add it to other ingredients.
work well with your hands, if possible soak your hands in vinegar so the meat will become moist and compact.

shape kebab as many as as big as you like and fry them .

serve with green salad

enjoy....

There are many recipes and styles of picadillo. It can be served over rice or as a filling for empanadas.

Use leftover or jarred spaghetti sauce, ground beef sautéd with soffritto, and hamburger buns to make Sloppy Guiseppes, or leave out the buns, add elbow macaroni and make your own Beefaroni. Both are very child friendly.

Last edited:
Make your favorite Meat Balls. Fry them on high heat in a cast iron pan. When they are dark brown add Cream of Mushroom Soup and extra mushrooms (optional), shredded carrot and parsley. Bring to boil stirring constantly and scraping up the brown bits. This will brown and flavor the "gravy". Turn down to a simmer and cook until the meat balls are cooked through. Serve over either Rice, Egg(less) Noodles or Mashed Potatoes.:chef::yum:

Substitute the ground beef for the ground lamb in moussaka and chop the egg plant fairly fine. I don't know if that would be appropriate for a baby, but a lot of kids will like it better without big chunks of egg plant. (Like me :LOL:)

Brown the ground beef with chopped onion, drain, add 1 can beef with vegetables and barley soup, 1 bag mixed vegetables, about 8 oz beef broth, and a tablespoon of corn starch. Bring to a boil, pour into 9 x 13" pan, top with 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese, French fried onions, and line the outside of the pan with biscuits cut in half (the flaky kind from a can). Bake at 400 for 20 min or so, until biscuits are golden brown. Yum!

How old is the baby? Mine is about 14 months and only likes eating with her hands. Won't let me feed her and too young for a spoon. So I will put the ground beef with pine nuts (if dr oks it) and fried onions garlic and cinnamon salt and allspice and brown it and wrap it in puff pastry squares and brush with egg and sesame. That way she can hold it herself without trying to pick up tint individual pieces of ground beef.

Chicken Flavored Rice Pilaf with Ground Beef

My MIL brought home a recipe one night from a women's church meeting and made it for her family (my wife included). They all loved it, but didn't have a name for it. One of the kids suggested "Ralph" and the name stuck. The original was a baked rice casserole, but I changed it to a stove-top pilaf dish. It is just plain yummy. The rice, veggies, and flavors are easily digestible. The most difficult thing in this dish for a child to digest would be the ground beef.

Ralph:
1 cup long-grain white or brown rice
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 pkg. Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup, with Chicken Meat
2 1/2 cups water.
1 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. black pepper

Brown the ground beef and onion together in a 2 quart sauce-pan. Add the celery, and rice, and stir-fry until the rice losses its translucent quality. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover, and simmer for 40 minutes (1 hour if using brown rice). REmove from heat and test rice to make sure it's cooked through. If not, simmer for 15 minutes more, adding a little water if needed.

If your child tolerates mushrooms well, you can add sliced mushrooms to the pilaf.

For a recipe obtained at a church, this one is very tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Chicken Flavored Rice Pilaf with Ground Beef

My MIL brought home a recipe one night from a women's church meeting and made it for her family (my wife included). They all loved it, but didn't have a name for it. One of the kids suggested "Ralph" and the name stuck. The original was a baked rice casserole, but I changed it to a stove-top pilaf dish. It is just plain yummy. The rice, veggies, and flavors are easily digestible. The most difficult thing in this dish for a child to digest would be the ground beef.

Ralph:
1 cup long-grain white or brown rice
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 pkg. Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup, with Chicken Meat
2 1/2 cups water.
1 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. black pepper

Brown the ground beef and onion together in a 2 quart sauce-pan. Add the celery, and rice, and stir-fry until the rice losses its translucent quality. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover, and simmer for 40 minutes (1 hour if using brown rice). REmove from heat and test rice to make sure it's cooked through. If not, simmer for 15 minutes more, adding a little water if needed.

If your child tolerates mushrooms well, you can add sliced mushrooms to the pilaf.

For a recipe obtained at a church, this one is very tasty.

Mom told me we're not allowed to call it Ralph if we add thyme and black pepper because it's not how her mom made it. Rol and I make it the way you just posted and named it Irenicus (because mom wanted us to just call it a pilaf and it annoyed her that we gave it a name :) ).

Mom told me we're not allowed to call it Ralph if we add thyme and black pepper because it's not how her mom made it. Rol and I make it the way you just posted and named it Irenicus (because mom wanted us to just call it a pilaf and it annoyed her that we gave it a name :) ).

This is not said to ridicule, but to inform. I don't think your DM knows what a pilaf is. She gets angry with me sometimes when I call dishes, kitchen tools, vessels, or techniques by their correct names, instead of what she and her family called them as she was growing up. And, your Grandma did add black pepper to the original casserole. I leave it out because your mother doesn't like it. I just add it to the portion on my plate.

I make a version using a good beef soup base (or really good beef stock if I have it), and vermicelli in place of the Lipton's Chicken Soup mix. I call it Norton because Norton was Ralph's best freind in the Honeymooner's skit on the old Jacky Gleason Show, back when I was a kid. It's good stuff.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Firstly, interesting post.

If we are speaking about ground beef only, then Steak Tartar is on the top of my list ... I serve it as an appetiser in stemware ... with tiny forks ... an array of breads and charcuterie and cheeses, pickles, hard boiled egg, and assorted items, capers, Almagro Eggplant from Ciudad Real, Castilla La Mancha which is a tiny variety used in pickling industry ...

If we are discussing mixing the varieties, 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork ground meat, then:

Meatballs, Moussaka, Lasagne traditional of Emilia Romagna and Baked Eggplant handled as a Lasagne however, with layers of eggplant verses the lasagne sheets ... Metaloaf is another option ... and another idea, has come to the think tank, a baked potato filled with ground beef & a Chili con Carne of sorts ...

A home made blue rare burger with BBQ hickory salsita ...

Happy Holidays.
Kind Regards.
Margi.

I just don't trust the ground beef I have access to to eat raw. I know American beef is supposed to be pretty good but our ground beef in the supermarkets is not meant to be eaten raw. I wish it was a different situation.

I love the eggplant idea!

I just don't trust the ground beef I have access to to eat raw. I know American beef is supposed to be pretty good but our ground beef in the supermarkets is not meant to be eaten raw. I wish it was a different situation.

I wouldn't eat the stuff they package as ground beef raw either. But, if I want beef tartar, I go to a butcher I trust and ask him to make me up a batch.

I wouldn't eat the stuff they package as ground beef raw either. But, if I want beef tartar, I go to a butcher I trust and ask him to make me up a batch.

We just don't have butchers here anymore. Sad but true! The times I have had raw beef it also has been more chopped than ground or a carpaccio style. Both coming from higher end restaurants.

Amen

Back
Top Bottom